If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Old Hotel Trail on Rusk's Map

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Old Hotel Trail on Rusk's Map

Unread post by mike »

For years I have known about a trail that runs from the old Hotel Road to the 4-way down near Kaaterskill Falls and Scutt Road. In the past there was always some other place I have preferred to go, so I have never looked for the trail. I have stopped at the entrance numerous times. But, today was different. I was looking for something new and different.

As I set down the trail was surprised how easy it was to follow. A few trees and branches in the way, but not that hard to follow. Descending down the 3rd ledge was the only difficult decision. Since I wasn't paying attention, I missed where the trail went down. But, it really wasn't a problem. I was able to follow the trail to the end. It was a delightful hike.

Before I went down this trail I followed the other side of the trail on the 3rd ledge.

Here are some pictures:

North-South Lake - taken by the outflow of South Lake of the snowmobiles

The 3rd ledge trail

The 3rd ledge trail

The 3rd ledge trail

The exit of the hotel trail from Rusk's Book and map

Cross-country ski trail
rkugel

Re: Old Hotel Trail on Rusk's Map

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, is this the trail you pointed out to me back on December 4, 2010 when we hiked to Layman's Monument? If I remember right, it was at the 4-way intersection on the other side of the stream from where Scutt Road ends. I'm also assuming you mean the old carriage road from South Lake to the Hotel Kaaterskill when you refer to the "Hotel Road". The trail sounds interesting and reminds me of a "mini version" of the West Access trail up to Kaaterskill High Peak. I'd like to hike it some time. Thanks as always for sharing the information. As a friendly suggestion, you may wish to add this hike to the section for "Favorite Hikes" under the category of "lost" or "secret" trails.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

Sorry, my description was a little vague. The Hotel Road is the one from South Lake up to Hotel Kaaterskill. When you climb the trail, you come to the first "horseshoe" turn. If you take a left, this is the east side of the trail. If you continue up to the next corner, the trail continues westward. Not as clear as the east side, but still pretty good. It does come out by the 4-way intersection for Scutt Road/KF/Ski trai/.

I'll have to show you the trail. There is also another trail that runs from the Hotel Kaaterskill pond down the cross-country ski trail.

You can find the trail on Rusk 1879 map. I will take some pictures and GPS it next weekend.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I don't think I have been on the western side. Would like to see a map.
UpstateNYStateofMind

Unread post by UpstateNYStateofMind »

That looks like a pretty cool trail. As silly as this may sound, I don't think I've ever encountered a trail quite that snowy. I've hiked in Indiana during the summer, but never upstate NY during the winter. Do post GPS points when you get the chance. Thanks for sharing those pics, Mike! Very cool!
Miriam
After visiting the Catskills, zoom ankle braces are things I'll be using for a while.