If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Afternoon walk around KF

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Afternoon walk around KF

Unread post by mike »

We had a few hours, so we headed up towards North and South Lake. Headed down to Kaaterskill Falls from Laurel House Road. With all the rain this past week, the water was flowing well.
KF-04.jpg
KF-03.jpg
We then decided to head down the U&D railroad. Part way out we scooted over to the rim before the private land. Walked on the old trail to Prospect Rock. No views anymore. Then headed to the Sphinx. Took a few pictures:
Sphinx-01.jpg
KV-01.jpg
We then took a few pictures of Kaaterskill Falls from across the clove:
KF-02.jpg
If you look carefully, you can see a Bride & Groom getting their picture taken from the top of Kaaterskill Falls.
KF-01.jpg
We had to be back at the house early, so we couldn't go far. But, we still had a good time. It's a good time of year to be here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rkugel

Re: Afternoon walk around KF

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

The fall colors are beautiful! Did you go to the Dog Memorial? I remember finding Prospect Rock last year and was very disappointed. As you observed, there is no view.

I'll have to try going to the Sphinx from the U&D railbed some time.

Thanks,
Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

No, we didn't go to the Dog Monument. I figured it would be too wet. But, we did go to the top ledge. Another hiking party did walk past us and hiked to the bottom. Never saw them come back up. Didn't know you could get to the bottom.

We figured that if we went in the late afternoon, we might get better light for the Sphinx. Didn't work out that way. The north side of the Sphinx seems to never get enough light. I had to use the magic tool in PS to fix the lighting.

with some of the leaves coming down, you can get a better shot of the KF from the easterly point of the ledge. As you saw in the photos.

For a couple of free hours we did have a good time.

We didn't follow the U&D all the way down. We cut across by the rock cairns to the rim and walked past Prospect Rock. I did find another spot that might yield a good photo. It is east of Prospect Rock, and is barely visible from the U&D line. But, there is a nice exposed ledge about 6-8' in diameter. Will have to check it out sometime.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice pics!

I think I have seen some photos from the ledge you are talking about. I can't remember where I saw them.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Your photo of the falls from "across the clove", where is that taken from?
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

dundee wrote:Your photo of the falls from "across the clove", where is that taken from?
I should let Mike answer, because I'm not positive that I remember the vantage correctly. But if I do recall correctly, on the Escarpment Trail, coming from Schutt Road, about midway between the turnoff to the top of Kaaterskill Falls and the Layman monument, there's a faint herd path going off to the right, nearly due west by the compass, with this overlook at the end of it.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Thanks, I'll check it out sometime.
mike

Unread post by mike »

It was taken from the Sphinx. There is no trail to it. You can get to it on public property, but it is difficult.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Thanks, Mike. I thought it might be the Spinx or Prospect Rock, but it is good to know about Kenny's ledge, too.

If anyone has a copy of barbara McMartin's "50 Hikes in the Hudson Valley", she has a pic of K-Falls from an "unknown" ledge in the first few pages. I'm guessing it's from Prospect rock, but she doesn't say in the book. does anyone know for sure?
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Prospect rock is overgrown. NO viewpoint from there anymore. The DEC has talked about cutting it open, but I wouldn't count on that any time soon.