If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

MTHS hike of Railroads & KF

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

MTHS hike of Railroads & KF

Unread post by mike »

The Mountain Top Historical Society had a hike from Haines Falls to Kaaterskill Falls along the U&D Railroad line. It was led by Bob G. and Bob Titus. We also did a side trip to the Sphinx. We had a group of 21 people. Had to side step one landowner's land. Here are some pictures:

We tried to get to the Dog's Monument, but it was too wet and dangerous today. We will visit it later. Had a great time. Alexis, Rich, and I later went to Colgate Lake for some extra hiking. Lots of hunters. It was such a beautiful day.

Thanks to the MTHS, Bob G, and Bob T. Got a change to meet a lot of great folks. The trip was truly memorable. Also need to thank Tim M. for his excellent knowledge of history.
mtnclimber

Re: MTHS hike of Railroads & KF

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Love that picture of the Sphinx! That thing is HUGE! Wish I had gone.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

I am totally impressed with your shot of the Sphinx. Much better than my shot in which the south side of Kaaterskill Clove is washed out. Great job and thanks again for the invite to lunch.

I mentioned in a separate email that I got to the dog monument after we left Colgate Lake. It is really very simple! I'll show you the next time we meet.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

I used the Magic Tool to highlight the dark sections. I then Used Enhanced to lighten them up. And, finally used contrast to make them more vibrant. Try it! I did the same thing with KF to get the water spray to come out.

You should definitely post some of the pictures here.

It was really a great day!
mike

Unread post by mike »

This is of our hike with the Mountain Top Historical Society on Oct 2, 2010. Here are some of the pictures provided to me by Rich:

Dog monument by Kaaterskill Falls:

Top of Kaaterskill Falls:

Bastion Falls by Rt 23a:

Top view of Kaaterskill Falls:

Side view of Kaaterskill Falls:

Part of our group by the Sphinx:
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

Thanks so much for posting my shots. Also, thanks for the tip about using the Magic Tool. I'll have to try it.

Rich
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Rich, you took some great pictures! Looking down KF is an unbelievable view.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Thanks for the compliment!

I would like to assure everyone that I did not place my life in extreme danger to get the shot looking down from Kaaterskill Falls. I laid flat on my stomach and VERY cautiously crawled my way up towards the edge. I also made sure my head was at least 12 inches from the precipice. Then (with my camera firmly strapped around my neck), I extended my arms out as far as I could, pointed the camera straight down, and clicked.
kleinesbear

Unread post by kleinesbear »

It has been a year since we ere out there.. we are heading back soon. Do you have the GPS coords of this hike? It sounds like one that we would enjoy too.

I am also attaching a great picture of the memorial we took last year. You can really read it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Wow! That is an awesome shot of the Dog Memorial. Clear as day! I've often said that cloudy days are best for shooting artifacts. Lighting and contrast are even and you avoid extremes of light and dark areas. Your shot certainly confirms it.

Regrettably, I do not have a GPS and so I cannot provide coordinates. If you wish, I would be more than happy to show you some time how to get to the memorial.

Rich