If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

The Five Cascades and Delmura Falls

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
rkugel

The Five Cascades and Delmura Falls

Unread post by rkugel »

On October 29, 2009, I successfully made my way to Delmura Falls and the Five Cascades. It was, by far, the most exhilarating, exhausting, and dangerous hike I ever made and was one of those days that will forever be etched into my mind.

Althought I didn't plan it that way, I made the trip after a heavy rain (the entire summer and fall of 2009 were plagued with fierce rainstorms). I parked at the Molly Smith parking area and then bushwhacked down a very steep talus embankment to the north bank of Lake Creek. I followed the creek downstream (south) and passed the remnants of the original road from Palenville to Hunter (now used as a power line right-of-way). I also found the old path from the original road up to Bastion Falls. The path to Bastion Falls follows the west bank of Lake Creek. After walking a very short distance (less than a hundred feet) west along the old road from the edge of Lake Creek, I spotted a vague woods road heading south towards Kaaterskill Creek. I correctly concluded that this was the old path to Delmura Falls and the Five Cascades. I then followed the old path along the north bank of Kaaterskill Creek. Over a century of erosion and floods have completely erased many parts of the path, but the resulting bushwhack is still relatively easy. One comforting thought was the idea that it is virtually impossible to get lost since all you have to do is follow the creek!

Approximately 3/4 of a mile from where Lake Creek joins Kaaterskill Creek, I reached Delmura Falls. These falls are truly beautiful in their own right and it's a shame that they are virtually forgotten. It should be noted that as I hiked to Delmura Falls, the walls of the clove slowly closed in and got progressively steeper and rockier. After climbing to the top of Delmura Falls and proceeding to the Five Cascades, it was very slow going as I had to literally hug the north bank of Kaaterskill Creek. At that point, the walls of the clove became too steep to safely navigate and the area was covered with thick, impassable undergrowth.

After proceeding several hundred feet, I reached the Five Cascades. No words can describe the wild and awesome beauty of these falls. I literally stood at the base of the falls for nearly a half hour before I could even take my camera out of the bag. As mentioned before, I made the hike shortly after a heavy rain, and the roar of the falls was absolutely deafening. I will never forget it!

From the base of the Five Cascades, I struggled (literally!) up an extremely steep embankment covered with loose talus to reach the base of very short ledge (about 5 feet). Much to my amazment, I could actually see traces of notches that were carved into the ledge to assist hikers dating from the 1800's. I remember reading about these notches and here they were! I successfully climbed up to the level of Shelving Rock and briefly considered walking out on it. However, sanity prevailed and I stayed away. Besides the fact the surface of the rock slopes towards the falls, every rock surface in the entire area is EXTREMELY slippery. I continued to navigate my way up the falls and made it as far as the base of the second cascade. From here, further progress was virtually impossible without the aid of a rope or a ladder. From this point, the clove walls were sheer vertical walls of slippery rock. There was literally no way to continue.

No matter. I was already awestruck beyond I could describe and I sat by the Cascades for well over an hour just gazing at their power and majesty, and reminding myself that this spectacle was only two hours from my home!

Taking photographs proved to be a formidable challenge. The mist and spray from the falls would cover my lens within seconds. I had to set my camera on a tripod, wipe the lens and then IMMEDIATELY take my shot. Even then, many shots were lost due to water on the lens. The results of my effort are presented below.

Should anyone wish to venture to Delmura Falls or the Five Cascades, I would like to share some thoughts and suggestions:
1. Do NOT go alone (in retrospect, I wish I had someone with me, just in case...)
2. Be HYPER-vigilant for slippery rocks and surfaces
3. Use extreme caution when climbing embankments with loose rocks. Althought I didn't see any, I understand that rattlesnakes have been sighted near the Five Cascades
4. Do NOT attempt this hike if there is even the slightest chance of icy surfaces
5. Stay on the north side of Kaaterskill Creek at all times. The current can easily sweep you away and there really is no need to cross to the south bank.
6. Expect to be absolutely soaked to the skin by the time you get back to your car. The mist and spray from the falls will have you drenched. Be sure to have a FULL change of clothes in your car for when you get back!
7. Although the hike was only about 1 and a 1/2 miles each way, it was brutally difficult. Get an early start and allow PLENTY of time for rest periods.

2009-1029-DelmuraFalls-01-4-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-DelmuraFalls-02-1-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-DelmuraFalls-03-1-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-DelmuraFalls-13-9.JPG

This is easily the "signature shot" of the Five Cascades. All five falls are visible, as are Shelving Rock and Naiad's Bath, which is located just behind the fallen log. Triton Cave is to the left, on the south side of Kaaterskill Creek. The entire scene is almost surreal.
2009-1029-FiveCascades-01-1-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-FiveCascades-02-3.JPG

Shelving Rock and Naiad's Bath can be spotted in the upper left corner of the photo.
2009-1029-FiveCascades-10-1-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-FiveCascades-09-5-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-FiveCascades-11-1-Fix.jpg
2009-1029-FiveCascades-08-1-Fix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: The Five Cascades and Delmura Falls

Unread post by mike »

The pictures are absolutely awesome! I definitely want to see it. Maybe hike it from Fawn's Leap. Might be easier.

From what I have read, the Five Cascades are 475' high. Angel Falls & Haines Falls are 180' / 160'. It is my understanding that the view from the top of the Five Cascades, but below Haines Falls is the best vantage point. But, this belongs to Twilight Park. I think I now have some good pictures of Angel Falls and Haines Falls.

The south side of the creek is private land, where the north side of public land. At some point The Five Cascades becomes private land.

The rattlesnakes are down further towards Fawn's Leap. They like to sit on the old road.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here are some older pictures of the Five Cascades and Haines Falls/Angel Falls:

Five Cascades - Taken in 1902 - 475' high

Angel Falls & Haines Falls - Taken in 1895 and 1910 - 160-180' high
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, thanks so much for posting those period photos of the Five Cascades and Haines/Angel Falls. They are breathtaking! If you wish, we can add the Five Cascades to our list of hikes "to do". As I mentioned, I would definitely like to go back some time, but only if I have someone with me. It is simply too dangerous to go alone.

Also, thanks for the clarification regarding the rattlesnakes.

I remember talking to someone who told me that Kaaterskill Creek itself is on public land as far as the top of the Five Cascades, so there shouldn't be any trespassing issues. I am very sensitive about staying on public property out of respect and courtesy for the owners of any private lands.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Five Cascades is definitely on my list. We just need to find a good day. This year has been difficult finding a good day on the weekend.

Nice to know that NYS land goes to the top of the north side. Still trying to get permission to go to the base of Haines Falls/Angel Falls and to the overhang on top.

I think you have to keep Rattlesnakes in mind anywhere from Fawn's Leap to the Five Cascades.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

It's really a shame that Haines Falls is off limits to the public. I wish there was a way for New York State to step in and somehow make the falls available for public viewing. It just doesn't seem right. Imagine if someone like Warren Buffet bought up all the land around Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon and then closed off all access to the public.
Levi

Unread post by Levi »

Very interesting hike description. Nice pix also, however I cant find Lake Creek on
any maps. The only creeks near the Molly Smith PA that I see are
Spruce Cr and Kaaterskill Cr. Not sure of the creek along Santa Cruz Ravine
but this hike didnt appear to head in that direction......Thanx, Levi
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Lake Creek runs from South Lake and goes over Kaaterskill Falls, and continues over Bastion Falls and under Rt 23a and down into the Kaaterskill Clove. Some of the maps call it Spruce Creek, but this is incorrect. Spruce Creek starts up near North Mtn and come into Lake Creek just above Kaaterskill Falls.

Santa Cruz Ravine is just left of Twilight Park.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Thanks for the clarification regarding the names of the various creeks. Mike and I are "toying" with the idea of hiking to the Five Cascades some time (I cannot over-emphasize how important it is to go with someone on this hike!). We just need some nice weekends when it isn't 100 degrees and there is no threat of severe thunderstorms.
TimMallery

Unread post by TimMallery »

I don't think the state property goes to the top of the Five Cascades. The state property maps on ACME and the State Lands Interactive Mapper on the DEC site show the property line along the north side of the creek to about N 42.19203 W 74.08489 and then goes sharply NNW to NY23A. I think that's well short of the top. :cry: