If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Kaaterskill HP

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Levi

Kaaterskill HP

Unread post by Levi »

Last time I hiked to summit of Kaaterskill HP I used an aqua paint blazed trail from the
nothern snowmobile loop. I was told this was the old Twilight Park trail.
Are the Aqua paint blazes still visible these days?....Thanx, Levi
rkugel

Re: Kaaterskill HP

Unread post by rkugel »

Good Morning Levi,

Yes, that is the old Twilight Park trail. Portions of the trail still have the blue blazes, but they are rapidly fading. I wouldn't depend on them. Fortunately, most of the trail is easy to follow, since quite a few hikers use it. The exception is the first hundred feet or so starting from the north access where it leaves the snowmobile trail. Look for the rock cairn marking the beginning of the path.

As I'm sure you know, the south approach is exceedingly steep. Please use extreme caution if you go this way!

Also, the last time I was at KHP (September 2009), there was a rock cairn and a piece of airplane wreckage at the top. If you arrive at the summit from the north, the Twilight Park trail will turn at the summit towards the southwest and head for Hurricane Ledge. However, if you continue straight ahead (south), you will see another very faint trail. Follow that trail for a couple of hundred feet. After descending a small ledge (perhaps 10-15 feet), make a left and bushwhack through some thick connifers. You will come to the airplane wreck itself, which is less than 50 feet from the faint trail (NOTE: The forest is so thick that the wreck is completely invisible from the trail - even though it is less than 50 feet away). Once you return to the faint trail, turn left (east) and descend to another ledge. You will be rewarded with a spectacular view to the Northeast including South Mountain, Palenville Overlook, and Indian Head.

Enjoy and Good luck! Rich
2009-0925-HighPeak-Summit-Clearing.JPG
2009-0925-HighPeak-PlaneCrash-Summit-03-1.JPG
2009-0925-HighPeak-Summit-03-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

If you are going to hike up the Twilight Trail, you MUST be a member or guest of Twilight park. If you are, then drive up to the water tower/ pond. Cross the overflow of the dam and walk up the Santa Cruz stream bed. This will put you on the trail that runs across the rim to buttermilk, wildcat, and viola falls. Before you get to Buttermilk, you will come to a 3-way trail junction. Take a right up the trail (Long Path). Once you get up near 2800-3000' you will come to another 3-way trail junction. Take a right up the hill to the Snowmobile Trail. Then take a RIGHT. go about 100' and take a LEFT up the trail to KHP.

There is another trail from Twilight Park that runs from the dam up a diagonal. This trail is overgrown. Most of the owners at Twilight park are now very old, and few hike there anymore. Sort of sad.

You also cannot park up where the old Sunset Hotel used to be. They are very sensitive about hikers parking there. They will tow your car!

If you don't have permission to go through Twilight Park, I would take this route: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/KM-KHPnorth.html

Let me know if you have more questions.
Levi

Unread post by Levi »

Thanx for the replies to my post about the twilight park trail. Last time (4-02) I was on the
summit I was unsuccessfull in finding the plane wreck. I will try again. I plan to gain access
to the northern snowmobile loop from Gillispie Rd. Hope my Ford Taurus can get
to the PA at the end of the road.....Levi
mike

Unread post by mike »

There are two PA on Gillispie Road. One is at the beginning of the DEP road, and the other is at the end of the DEP road. The first one is at the end of the public road. You can park there and walk up Cortina Lane. When the road turns 90 right continue straight up the hill to the ski slope on Cortina. then turn right and walk up the slope. You will see the trail right after the chair lift. You can see this in better detail from the beginning of this hike: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/KM-brantfort.html

The second PA is best if you bushwhack part of the trail to the Snowmobile trail. You can see this route here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/KM-KHPwest.html. This is the shortest ONLY if you bushwhack the 1,000+ feet to the snowmobile trail. If you don't bushwhack it, it is the longest. The road up to the second PA has been improved over years past. They put in Culverts. There are still a couple rocks sticking up out of the road that you have to dodge. But, it is doable. Just go slow and be careful.

To do KHP, you want to pick a clear day. Hurricane Ledge (south side) has a spectacular view of the Indian Head Mtn Range.

To find the plane crash that Rich referred to, take a LEFT at the summit of KHP (north access), and walk approximately 495 feet. The plane crash is in a fairly steep section and fairly well hidden. We do have a GPS coordinate on our site. Some people have been carrying off parts of the plane in the last year. Not sure why. The crank shaft of the engine was laying near the summit for a great number of years. But, last year someone walked off with it. Now, parts of the fuselage are now showing up at the summit.

Rich and I have been planning a trip up the west access for close to a year. But, bad conditions have prevented our trip a number of times. But, we will probably do it this Fall when the skies clear up for a nice view.
Levi

Unread post by Levi »

Ok, thanx for the heads up. I will probably wait for this hot spell to pass
before I head up there. Will be hiking with my 4-legged trail guide 'Mr. Gus'.
......Levi
Levi

found plane wreck near

Unread post by Levi »

Found plane wreck near summit of Kaaterskill HP today. Then we went to
hurricane ledge for lunch. Thanx to all for the great advice.....Levi
mike

Unread post by mike »

There are two plane crashes on KHP. One on the snowmobile trial, and one just below the summit. I presume that you are talking about the one below the summit.

Congratulations on finding it! Hurricane Ledge is always great place for lunch and great views.