If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hell's Hole & Upper Falls

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Hell's Hole & Upper Falls

Unread post by mike »

After work, I headed down to Platte Clove. It was around 4:30 pm when I arrived.

I had a goal of hiking down into Hell's Hole to the edge of Bridal Veil Falls Lookout. I started out on the right side of the Arch Bridge of Hell's Hole Creek. The descent was very steep and dangerous. It was slippery, steep, and dangerous. It was a hellish hike. Hell's Hole lived up to it's name. A ways down, I had to take a 15' drop. I wasn't sure I could get back up after I got down. So I had to decide to continue or turn around. My goal was to find this spot. I came up a little short. But, after looking at my goal, I could see that the valley was becoming a steep V shape. I wasn't going to achieve my goal. So, I turned around and climbed back up the steep and slippery slope. By the time I got to the top, I was out of breath! Okay, now I need to shift to Plan B.

I drove around the corner to the Overlook Bridge. Hiked down to the Old Mill Falls. Run into a nice family from Hunter. Had a good time talking with them.

You can see the Overlook Bridge with King Post construction at the top of the Falls. The falls are 10+ feet high.

Just below the Old Mill Falls is the foundation of the old mill.

I hiked back up to the road and walked down the path next to the small Red House. Seems strange, but there is a path. This path will take you down to Plattekill Falls. About a 1/4 mile down to the falls. Plattekill Falls are reported to be about 70' high.

Pretty curved out sculpted rock. About 100' before the top of Bridal Veil Falls.

I got near the top of Bridal Veil Falls, but had a difficult time getting to the top of the Falls. I was running out of time, so I headed back to the car. Will return tomorrow.
mtnclimber

Re: Hell's Hole & Upper Falls

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I have heard about this hike. I will have to try it. Mike, are you going to list all the Falls?
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Wow! Cool hike!

Been past there many times. The little red house makes it look like a private house. I'll have to stop and go down there sometime. Thanks!

Hell's Hole sounds horrible! Just looking down by the arch bridge looks scary.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Mike, are you going to list all the Falls?
We can list it. I would have to go back and track and chart it. We wouldn't list Hell's Hole. Just too dangerous. We would like to find a better way down to the bottom of Bridal Veil Falls.

It really had nothing to do with my reason for being there that day.