If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Richmond Mtn - April 30

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
mike

Richmond Mtn - April 30

Unread post by mike »

After work, I headed over to Rt 32C. Then took the side road on the right. When I reached the ridge line, I parked on the side of the road. You can still see the old carriage road, but it is now overgrown. I seriously thought of taking a path up thru the conifer forest, but this required that I needed to climb up lots of elevation, and get over the ledge near the top. I chose the ridge line.

Immediately, I hit lots of prickers. When the prickers stopped, I would encounter lots of blowdown. It was the most difficult mile I had done in a long time. You can still follow the trail in some parts. But, the prickers were awful! Last year, I hiked from the east, and they too had prickers, but not nearly as many as the west side.

About 1/3 of the way up, I ran into a bear, but it ran off. I was buried in blow down and prickers. About 2/3 of the way up, I ran into a small ledge. Easy way up. Trail was evident. Only good part of the hike. Just before the top, I hit loads of prickers. It was unbelievable. Makes Halcott look like a treat. The top was uneventful. Just glad it was over. I then headed back. Tried to find the large ledges to the south, but was not willing to go down too far down the mountain. I would also run into private land.

That night, I had a hard time sleeping due to the large number of prickers. Hiking it in the Winter sounds like a great idea. If the trail was cleared, it would be a very nice hike.