If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hiking Conditions

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
mtnclimber

Hiking Conditions

Unread post by mtnclimber »

What are the hiking conditions? Is there still snow?
dave

Re: Hiking Conditions

Unread post by dave »

They got between 1-3 inches of rain. But up near Windham/Hunter they still have 1-2' of snow. There are some areas of the Catskills that don't have snow, or very little. By the time the weekend is over, a lot of snow will be gone. I would suspect that the peaks of Blackhead will still have snow.

Right now, there is snow around 1800' and up on Acra Point.
mtnclimber

thanks for the reply! Looks like a good weekend for hiking.
kkayaker8

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

Last Thursday a couple of hikers came down off the devil's path saying that without snowshoes the going was difficult, but that was of course before the rain and this lovely weather we are supposed to be getting.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We were up near Pisgah & Richmond yesterday. The road up to the col has 1-2' of snow on it.

We also were by WHP. There is snow from the start of the trail all the way up.

We also went up to the Blackhead trailhead, and there is 1 to 1-1/2' of snow. I hiked up the col in between Acra Point and Burnt Knob. There is 1-2' of snow all the way up. The biggest problem is the amount of melted snow. The streams are running very strong. Hard to get around. Had to bushwhack to the col. Could not follow the trail. Made numerous storm water stream crossings. Very difficult.

We tried to get up towards the lean-to. The streams were running too strong and the water was too deep to fjord. I would imagine that will be the case thru out the weekend.

We were up near Blackhead about 10 days ago, and there was 4-5' of snow.

Last weekend Bearpen had 3-4' on top.

Some other areas further south were bare. It seems that the heavy snow areas are still covered.
mtnclimber

Mike took me up to the col of Acra Point and Burnt Knob. Water conditions are pretty rough. You have to be very careful when crossing some of these streams. Mike knew exactly where to go, so that helped a lot. From the registration box very few people are hiking up there.