If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Huckleberry Point - Feb 13, 2009

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Huckleberry Point - Feb 13, 2009

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I decided to hike to Huckleberry Point on Saturday. When we arrived at the parking area in Devil's Kitchen we ran into a nice gentleman from Maine. He wanted some advice on hike to KHP, so we helped him out with some good advice.

We hiked up the old Steenberg Road, which was nicely covered with snow and ice. Part way up the trail we ran into a dead coyote. He crawled up onto a log and died. We estimate that he died Thursday or Friday. His rib cage was already eaten by nearby animals.

When we hit the trail head, the snow on the trail was very thin. We were hitting a lot of rocks with our snowshoes. When we got to the stream it was frozen solid, which is always good. The climb up the hill was okay. A little rocky, but nothing terrible. But, coming down the other size was rough. There were a lot of rocks in the path. We ended up hiking off the trail, just to avoid the rocks.

We arrived at Huckleberry Point. It was windy but the views were okay. We ate a little bit, and headed back. The trip back was uneventful.

Alexis forgot to put her snowshoes in the back of the car, so we ended up leaving without them. For some reason I asked her about her poles on the way back. She thought that I put them in the car. So, we headed back to the PA. Thankfully, they were still there.