If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

First Overnight Backpacking Suggestions

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
ruralspace

First Overnight Backpacking Suggestions

Unread post by ruralspace »

Hey Everybody,

New to the forum and fairly new to hiking. Just got into day hiking this summer and along with some easier stuff in North Jersey (Windbeam Mountain, Stokes and Norvin Green Forests), my girlfriend and I have done Giant Ledge/Panther and Balsam Lake Mountain.

We'd like to do our first overnight and I'm looking for Catskill suggestions. I'm thinking since we've never hiked with full loads, something not insanely arduous. Maybe a 10-mile loop?

Someone off the board said to do Slide then camp in the col between it and Cornell which sounded promising.

Any tip appreciated!

- Jeff
mike

Re: First Overnight Backpacking Suggestions

Unread post by mike »

Climbing up Slide isn't that hard with a pack. But, coming down the other side is steep and difficult. Not something I would want to do with a pack. It is illegal to camp in the col between Slide and Cornell. Some people still do, but some get a ticket too.

You might want to try the Escarpment Trail. It is generally a 3-day hike, but you can do only part of the trail, and break it up into a 2-day hike. http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/BP-ET.html

You can hike from (1) Rt 23 to Colgate Lake; or (2) Colgate Lake to Kaaterskill Falls; (3) Batavia Valley to Colgate Lake

Each day out be about 8 miles. 8 miles is a reasonable distance for backpacking.

The hike from Dutcher's Notch to Colgate Lake is almost completely flat. Easy hike
ruralspace

Thanks, Mike! I'll look into these for sure.

Are there not campsites between Slide and Cornell? Seeing one on the DEC map, maybe they're gone?
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Mike, last I knew, there was a designated site between slide & Cornell. Has that changed?
mike

Unread post by mike »

I stand corrected. The latest DEC map shows a campsite in the col for (6) tents. Maybe the Rangers got tires of hiking up there to give people tickets.
ruralspace

Heading up to Slide on Sunday. Maybe I'll do the decent into the col to sus out for myself how it would be with a pack.

Thanks again, everyone.

- Jeff
mike

Unread post by mike »

Another option would be the Hunter Loop. It is only 8 miles, but the John Robb Lean-to has fabulous views. The loop is a nice backpacking trail.

http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/HWK-hunter.html
ruralspace

That looks perfect, Mike!

Can you pitch a tent around the lean-tos?
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

No. lean-tos are for people who stay in them. To tent, you must find a separate, designated tent site.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

However, many lean-to have a designated site nearby as there are a goodly # of people who prefer to stay in a tent.