If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

First Overnight Backpacking Suggestions

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
mike

Re: First Overnight Backpacking Suggestions

Unread post by mike »

Rules for summer camping in a tent. You must be 150' away from a trail, water source, or road. You must also camp below 3500'. On this hike, there is no designated camping sites. But, you can move off into the woods and camp. There are two lean-to on this hike. But, the John Robb lean to is considered the best in the Catskills.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Yes, thanks, Mike. I had neglected the 150' option.
ruralspace

Unread post by ruralspace »

dundee wrote:However, many lean-to have a designated site nearby as there are a goodly # of people who prefer to stay in a tent.

Yeah I recall seeing sites around the shelter on Balsam Lake Mountain. Thanks.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Hi! I'm actually from west milford. Liked that you've been to Norvin Green & also Windbeam. Ahh brings back memories.

I 2nd Hunter mountain/john robb lean-to. If you are new to backpacking this is a great 1st time hike. It's a nice low grade with no climbing and good views. I do John robb several times a year it's my favorite lean-to. Just bring a mat a bag and some snacks. View from Hunter Mtn. FIretower is amazing!

There is good water source there, which is usually the biggest issue with camping at high spots in the Catskills (or ADK).

I have done the Slide-cornell, and it's doable and pretty good. There is one tough spot near the top of cornell from that side where there is a ledge that is too big for even my goofy long legs, and I will sometimes take my pack off. Slide has a few ledges (there is sometimes a rope there, sometimes not) and one good set of ladder to get down. It was actually where I did my first Catskill backpacking as well.

Camping in between slide & cornell is 100% legal last I was there. There are plenty of "camp here" yellow discs with the tent, and a few water sources (the one on slide is most reliable I believe.)

Another good beginner backpack would be to hike your stuff into devil's kitchen lean-to and then just day hike it up Indian head, then back down to your stuff. This way you get a bit of both.

-jon
ruralspace

Unread post by ruralspace »

Jon wrote:Hi! I'm actually from west milford. Liked that you've been to Norvin Green & also Windbeam. Ahh brings back memories.

I 2nd Hunter mountain/john robb lean-to. If you are new to backpacking this is a great 1st time hike. It's a nice low grade with no climbing and good views. I do John robb several times a year it's my favorite lean-to. Just bring a mat a bag and some snacks. View from Hunter Mtn. FIretower is amazing!

There is good water source there, which is usually the biggest issue with camping at high spots in the Catskills (or ADK).

I have done the Slide-cornell, and it's doable and pretty good. There is one tough spot near the top of cornell from that side where there is a ledge that is too big for even my goofy long legs, and I will sometimes take my pack off. Slide has a few ledges (there is sometimes a rope there, sometimes not) and one good set of ladder to get down. It was actually where I did my first Catskill backpacking as well.

Camping in between slide & cornell is 100% legal last I was there. There are plenty of "camp here" yellow discs with the tent, and a few water sources (the one on slide is most reliable I believe.)

Another good beginner backpack would be to hike your stuff into devil's kitchen lean-to and then just day hike it up Indian head, then back down to your stuff. This way you get a bit of both.

-jon

Thanks, Jon!