If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam Mountain (Ulster) - Jan 31

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
mike

Balsam Mountain (Ulster) - Jan 31

Unread post by mike »

On Sunday, January 31, 2010 I set out for Balsam Mountain from Rider Hollow Road. I started out just after 10 AM. The parking lot had an ice flow running across it, but I still had no problem parking. I put my snowshoes on right by the truck to keep from falling. There was very little snow on the bottom. Probably should started out with MicroSpikes, but I didn't.

When I got the trail junction I decided to go clockwise around the loop instead of going counter clockwise. Going right would mean that I would take the risk of getting a wet foot early in the hike, which would ruin the hike. Going clockwise would mean that I would have the sun in my eyes thru the best part of the hike. It was a no-win situation. Going Clockwise ensured that the hike would be finished without an incident.

Before long, the trail started to climb in elevation. There was still little snow, so I hit a lot of rocks with my snowshoes. We also had to hike up the grade at an angle. This is difficult with snowshoes.

Again, I hiked in my microfleece, and I was still hot. I was slightly cold, but nothing terrible. When I got to the top I hit the trail junction to Belleayre. The trail was now straight, and I started to make up some time as I headed towards Balsam Mountain. I could see Balsam Mtn off in the distance. Now I was hitting snow drifts about 1 to 1-1/2' deep. Nothing terrible.

When I approached Balsam Mountain, I started to climb in elevation again. Then I came to a steep section when climbed up at an angle. the snow was hard, but still difficult. Falling while climbing hear would cause me to slide down the bank. Not a good thought. Near the top, the climb up the step ledge was difficult. I had to climb up on bare rock with snowshoes, which was dangerous because of slippage. I finally got up, but came close to falling down the steep bank.

Once on top, it got cold. I had to put my fleece jacket back on. It was getting slightly windy and colder. There was a slight uphill grade, but nothing terrible. Hit more snow drift. One was 3' high. The rest were fairly easy to get thru. Now, the trees were turning from deciduous to conifer trees. I liked that.

then I got to the false summit. It is only 8 feet lower then the actual summit. It can fool you. I continued on, until I got to the view point. Very nice views! I then continued on to the summit.

Took some more pictures of the summit. I really like the walk across the summit ridge.

I then started down the hill. Hit some small snow drifts and places where the water washed out the trail earlier in the week with the rain.

Then I came to another trail junction. Would have like to gone to Eagle Mountain, but it was too late for that. I then headed down the trail to the parking lot. The trail down the hill was steep and very poorly marked. Easy to fall off the trail.

Had to cross the streams quite a few times. At first it wasn't so bad, but the further I got down the trail the deeper the stream got. But, I got across each time without getting a wet foot. Near the bottom, I switched to MicroSpikes. I stopped by the Lean-to for a moment. The lean-to is actually leaning towards collapsing. But, still usable. Shortly after the lean-to I hit the two bridges. The second one didn't seem that stable.

Once the loop was completed, I headed back towards the parking lot. Someone had been over my tracks with bare-boots. But, they didn't get far before turning around. Got back to the car around 3.

Nice hike. Didn't see a single sole. Had the entire mountain to myself. Nice clear day, with nice snowshoeing snow. Great day for a hike.

I later heard that quite a few people had gone to Sherrill Mountain. Okay with me. Had a nice peaceful day. Even if I had to break the trail from time-to-time. Nice memories.

dave

Re: Balsam Mountain (Ulster) - Jan 31

Unread post by dave »

Not sure I have done this hike. Very nice view! It is nice when you have the mountain to yourself. I look forward to getting the hike up on the web site. Sounds like a great winter hike.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Sounds like a nice trip. Wish I had come along. I just thought that it would be too cold. I have heard that the peak is real nice. Pretty cool that you had the entire mountain to yourself. I just saw the new listing under the hiking section. Real Nice job!
mike

Unread post by mike »

I actually liked the weather. I wish the wind was blowing just a little more. My glasses fog up on the way up when the wind is not blowing.