If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Current trail conditions

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Birdman

Current trail conditions

Unread post by Birdman »

Is there a website for current trail conditions in the Catskills? I used to go the NYNJTC website which had info but last post was Oct.21,2016. Looking for trail conditions above 2500 ft., snow depth,ice etc. I don't do much hiking in the winter but want to try some. Best to plan and be prepared. Regards.
metalmanstan

Re: Current trail conditions

Unread post by metalmanstan »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Catskil ... onditions/

If you have Facebook, the Facebook link is valuable, as people post the conditions right after they hike and there is a post almost every day.

Happy hiking!!
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

I checked out facebook. Thanks for the info. Regards. Ed
mike

Unread post by mike »

right now there is lots of ice. But, snow in places. Cramp-ons is recommended in places. But, microspikes will work with caution.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

CURRENT CONDITIONS 1/18/2017:

Climbed on Wed. After the rain. Expect ICE. Crampons HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (by me). You cannot climb ice cliffs with microspikes. Bring Ice axe, if you don't have one borrow one. Self arrest while sliding down Ice covered trails may save your life in the steep upper portions of Catskill Mountains. There is almost no snow, so you will slide much faster than normal winter falls.

Blackhead range: Bare ground for start of trail from Batavia Kill. NO SNOW, minimal ice. Microspikes on after trail to lean-to intersection. Took red trail up the switchbacks to Lockwood Gap (btwn Blackhead & Black Dome). Can possibly get by without microspikes up to the Spring.

Switched from microspikes to crampons below switchbacks as conditions changed from sporadic ice to constant ice & packed snow. Then ascended Black Dome. Less snow beside trail above 3500 feet, but freeze thaw ice covers the trail. Crampons were needed as there were several cliffs of ice. Wound up getting a blister because I had not broken in boots, and because it popped in my heel I switched to microspikes at top of Black Dome (pulls less on heel).

Descent of Black Dome to col w/ Thomas Cole wore microspikes, but slid down most of the ice & packed snow portions. Very quick sliding as there is mostly ice. Ascent of Thomas Cole with Microspikes but at several ice-cliffs I had to use ice axe. Descended Thomas cole with Microspikes. Put crampons back on to Ascend and descend Black Dome. Switched from Crampons back to microspikes below the switchbacks.

Carried the snowshoes the whole way, never needed them. Maybe the rain melted the snow?

No views. Spring is flowing. 2 more winter 35ers done! =) Will edit with pics & maybe video as soon as it's available.
-jon

Photos:
Google Albums: https://goo.gl/photos/7T5aZqABVEPWxHGQ8