If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Santa Cruz Ravine?

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
metalmanstan

Santa Cruz Ravine?

Unread post by metalmanstan »

So I was searching around the forum today and I've come up with very little about the Santa Cruz Ravine. From Google maps it looks very interesting. Almost like Kaaterskill Falls:
rsz_capture.jpg
I also took a snip of it with the state land, so you can see, it is still on state land, but it would be a bit tricky to get to it:
rsz_capture2.jpg
Has anyone been here recently? I don't know but it looks as if the massive land slide was either caused by Irene or a good flood in the past couple years. I'm looking to hike Poets Ledge and if we get some good rain today, the other three waterfalls. Maybe some day hike all three ravines and get a tally on every single drop there. This two tier drop looks huge, so I would like to investigate it. Thanks for your help!!

Stash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: Santa Cruz Ravine?

Unread post by mike »

The left side (looking south) of Santa Cruz Ravine is on State land. You can hike up to the base of the falls, but no further. As you approach the base, there is a very large mud slide on the left. It is only safe if it has been very dry. Right now would be okay. But, normally it is very dangerous to be at the base of the waterfall due to the mud slide potential.

It is a 3 drop waterfall that is between 150-300' high. I think that it is around 250-300' high. I have a GPS coordinate for the top, but not the bottom. There are 3 more waterfalls above Santa Cruz water fall. Two are on private property (Twilight Park), and the highest is on public land. I really need to get back to get a GPS position and elevation at the base.

This link should help you with the waterfall: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/WF-SC.html

I normally cross below Lower Buttermilk Falls. But, with the water levels so low, you could cross at other points. There is an old logging road that runs on the south side of Kaaterskill Creek. From there it is boulder climbing to get up the Santa Cruz Ravine. I would park in the lower parking lot (below Bastion Falls).
metalmanstan

Thanks for the info Mike!!

Do you have any other links for the waterfalls around that area? I can't seem to find them on the site? All I see is hiking in the mountains and the more popular waterfalls.

Let me know when you want to go up there again! I was lurking around the Hillyer Ravine yesterday checking out the waterfalls there. I was too tired to go to the three other ravines to check out those falls. After the rain we just got, the water is flowing once again!!
rsz_1rsz_20161116_115546.jpg
rsz_120161116_105915.jpg
rsz_120161116_110157.jpg
Do you know the names of these falls? Also, what are the ideal sizes to posting images on this forum? Thanks!!

Stash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We have done most of them in that part of the Kaaterskill Clove. We have not visited Lower Viola Falls and the two below there. And we have not done the few below Moore's Bridge. And, we don't have an elevation and GPS for the base of Santa Cruz Falls.

But, you can see most from here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/list-WF.html

Buttermilk was the hardest. Very very dangerous. It took a dozen trips over two years to complete it. Very scary place to go.

I would be happy to take you there. I do have access from private land which drastically shorten the trip.
metalmanstan

Well then, Let me know when you would like to go there!! I am a waterfall fanatic!! That area looks dangerous and I would love to explore it and take note of where and exactly how tall all of these falls are. A beautiful yet challenging place. I got as far as the middle of Hillyer Ravine, then I headed back. Thanks for the info Mike and get a hold of me!!
rsz_20161116_115927.jpg
Stash
mike

Unread post by mike »

I would be happy to hike with you on some of the waterfalls. Maybe if some of this snow melts in December we can make a trip.
metalmanstan

Let me know when!! I have Sundays and Tuesdays off! My drive is from Oneonta so it's not too bad. Looks like the water flow has been a steady good pace for the past couple weeks which is good!!

Stash