If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Black bear

Discussions about all wildlife, trees, plants, flowers, and geology
Br22

Black bear

Unread post by Br22 »

Hello, in general what are the best mountains are you most likely to see a black bear and what ones are you least likely?
What mountains have had the most presumed mountain lion activity/sightings?
Thanks
mike

Re: Black bear

Unread post by mike »

Right now there a lot of black bears in the Catskills in general. Usually, you don't see them during the day. The southwest part of the Catskills are suppose to have the most right now.

Hasn't been a Mtn Lion activity since 2010 in the Catskills. I am sure that sooner-or-later we will get another one. We do get people who mistake a bobcat for a mtn lion.
morganirich

Unread post by morganirich »

Hi there,

saw a bear from about 25 feet away today between Slide and Cornell at around 2:30 PM. My first sighting, but luckily i handled it well (while my knees were shaking and heartbeat skyrocketing) partly thanks to the great right up on bears on this site...

remember to make noise - especially if the wind is in your face!
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

For the last couple of years, there have been a higher population of black bears in the Catskills. I think that they extended the hunting season to reduce the population a bit.

I find that they don't want an encounter with you anymore then you do. If you slowly back away, they are more then happy. Important to keep cooked food away from your sleep spot. I usually cook about 150' away from my camp site or leanto.

Great first encounter!