If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Eagle and Balsam Oct. 15

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
traprocker

Eagle and Balsam Oct. 15

Unread post by traprocker »

Hike date: Oct. 8

Most reports on these mountains describe then as boring with nothing to look at so I figured to hike during peak foliage season to avoid green tunnel syndrome. To make things more interesting I bushwhacked up the east side of Eagle from the McKinley Hollow PA for a partial loop hike. I initially followed some old log roads to the broad east arm of Eagle. From there it was easy going up to about 2850’ where the first of a series of classic Catskill ledge steps appeared. All of the ledges were easy to get around and as I ascended, traces of logging disappeared and the forest transitioned to fine first growth. Higher up, I ranged to the left side of the ridge where there were occasional glimpses of the Burroughs Range along the ledge escarpments. After 1.5 hours, I came out on the PH-WB trail at 3530’. From there, it was a quick walk to Eagle’s wooded but pleasant summit. After ranging around the SW summit area for views- no luck- I headed north across Haynes to Balsam, completely immersed in fall colors. I finally reached Balsam lookout in 4:25 hours. The descent down McKenley Hollow through the first growth forest was quite scenic. Whoever built the new switchbacks and stone steps did a great job. The lean-to at the base of the hollow is a nice spot. I reached the PA after 6.5 hours. This was a great hike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birdman

Re: Eagle and Balsam Oct. 15

Unread post by Birdman »

Had never done Balsam so I went up today via the Mine Hollow Trail. Went to the lookout and returned same way. A great view. Monday was the pick of the litter for hiking this week but even with warmer weather today overall a great day. Met a father and son from Saugerties. The father was notching his 15th 3500 peak. Regards.