If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Favorite Place in the Catskills

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
MChanning

Favorite Place in the Catskills

Unread post by MChanning »

I was hoping to see what everyone's favorite place in the Catskills is, excluding scenic viewpoints. I'm trying to get a sense for the best places to check out beyond the amazing views that the Catskills have to offer.
mike

Re: Favorite Place in the Catskills

Unread post by mike »

For me, the Escarpment Trail. Favorite sections are from North Point down to North Lake, and from Blackhead down to Dutcher's Notch. This past weekend, I did Blackhead to Arizona to Dutcher's Notch. My favorite when the leaves are changing.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I agree with Mike. The Escarpment Trail has a lot to offer. Almost any section is good for hiking. the Hunter Loop is pretty good too. I think they have a best hikes list on this site too.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

The whole eastern portion of Devil's path Indianhead to Plateau. I'm not saying it for the viewpoints, just love the terrain.
The unofficial trail up Kaaterskill High Peak from the north side (snowmobile trail to summit)
The beaver pond on the way up Sugarloaf
The bogs on the hike to the wild apple orchard
The birch forest on the hike from North-South lake towards Stoppel Point
Diamond Notch Falls on the way up to Hunter
Ledge falls in the winter when it sometimes forms and ice cave
metalmanstan

Unread post by metalmanstan »

Platte Clove has got to be my favorite. Beautiful scenery all the way up and challenging at times, which makes it fun.

I also like Plateau. The challenging hike up and the beautiful walk on top through the conifer forest makes it a relaxing and stunning hike.

Camel's Hump and Thomas Cole in the fall can be a magical hike. I went through it when the leaves were at it's peak and it was beautiful. Not a single soul on the trail.

Stash
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Platte Clove is a magical place if you can avoid the danger.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2 ... 73!5m1!1e4

This place must be magical. Every time I go there I have 25 different emotions coursing through my veins. Anxiousness, excitement, fear, wonder, awe, tired, pain, amazement, isolation, the trees are closing in on me! is that a hole? wait...where does that hole go? etc...

Go, you will NOT be disappointed.