If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam Lake via Millbrook Ridge

Alder Lake, Balsam Lake Mtn, Cradle Rock Ridge, Graham, Mill Brook Ridge, Woodpecker Ridge,
traprocker

Balsam Lake via Millbrook Ridge

Unread post by traprocker »

Hike date- Sept. 25

I was looking for a loop route for BLM instead of the standard old road approaches so decided to use the Kelly Hollow TH, over Millbrook Ridge and down to Dry Brook TH with a bike back.

The bushwhack up Kelly Hollow, although short, was difficult with steep, loose terrain, some minor ledge and knee high nettle gardens. I overshot to the west and ended up on Kelly Knoll (3200+) instead of at Kelly col. Realizing my mistake, and the large amount of bear scat and bed areas, I quickly contoured around the east face of the knob and descended sharply to meet the Millbrook Ridge Trail at 2960'. The "short" Kelly Hollow hike and bushwhack took 1:40.

The MBRT rolled along the ridge-top over small summit areas, through a few scenic ledges, and through dense hardwood forest (beech, birch maple), classified as first growth. Overall, the MBRT wasn't too exciting but definitely felt remote as it was was heavily overgrown all the way to BLM. The Beecher Lake vista is also growing in which is too bad as it would be a worthy destination if cleared. At the end of the ridge there was a nice window view of BLM with the lower hardwoods just starting to turn color and the evergreens up high topped by the looming firetower. The trail got more interesting as it reached the lower slopes of BLM, passing nice open forest areas suitable for camping, then traversing the ledgy terrain on the west side of the mountain. A small rivulet with water was around the 3270-foot level. No views were to be had on this side of the mountain but it did not matter as the fire-tower was right up and around the corner offering its impressive views. i also visited the small bog nearby. The descent to Dry Brook TH was routine, with a lot of bear scat around.
Total hike time was ~ 6 hours, ~8.8 miles .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: Balsam Lake via Millbrook Ridge

Unread post by mike »

I don't think I have hiked it that way before. The views from the fire tower are always good.