If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Scott Jurek Break AT Record

Discussion of hiking from Maine to Florida
dave

Scott Jurek Break AT Record

Unread post by dave »

Scott Jurek just broke Jennifer Pharr Davis's record of hiking(and running) the Appalachian Trail (AT) in 46 days, 8 hours and 7 minutes. About 3 hours faster then Jennifer's record. Jennifer still holds the fastest women to do the trail. It works out to an average of 47 miles per day for 46.5 days. Scott is an Ultramarathoner (100 miles).

Here are some pictures of the 46 days.

Jennifer Pharr Davis - Previous world record holder of the fastest AT trail

Melissa McBean - Hiker with Catskill Mountaineer
dundee

Re: Scott Jurek Break AT Record

Unread post by dundee »

Sorry, not impressed.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

who carried his gear?
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Sorry, not impressed.
When are you going to break the record with an impressive time?

Generally, there is a followup crew carrying water and gear. This is pretty standard in FKT attempts.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

I'm not interested in foolish things like records. I'd rather hear about someone who took their time and enjoyed it.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Hikers can be broken into a number of different groups. Some people are List Hikers. Others are View Junkies. Some like to break records. Irregardless of what type of hiker you are, Scott's accomplishments are quite remarkable. Averaging 48.5 miles for 46 consecutive days is quite impressive. I don't know too many people who can hike 48 miles in a day. I personally don't care for List hiking or records, but I do recognize the accomplishments of remarkable people.

When I was younger I was a marathon runner. I personally understand how difficult this task was. It takes a special person to do what Scott did. But, there are others like him. But, it is a very small club.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

good point mike. i have great respect for him. I couldn't do it. Must have been ultra-difficult I do think however that any records should only be kept on people who carry their own gear. He's not actually backpacking, he's just running while other people shuttle his stuff around, cook his food, procure his water, etc.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Alas, this feat may just prove to be the flashpoint for the firestorm of controversy that eventually closes Katahdin to A-T hikers.

The Baxter State Park response to it condemns it in no uncertain terms and reiterates a concern - shared in increasingly irate terms in recent years - that the A-T is simply incompatible with Baxter State Park's management goals.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

They also issued him 3 tickets.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

interesting response. I am not surprised with how many permits and regulations baxter has. Heading up there in a few weeks. Mine won't be a champagne filled climb though. Just hoping to make it to the summit. =)