If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Suggestions for Complete NewB

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
JimB

Suggestions for Complete NewB

Unread post by JimB »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm taking my family on our first hike. We are coming into the area on Monday afternoon, staying in the Windham area and I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of information and I'm a better learner when doing than reading. I will be able to digest better once I get in the area and a map, but want something planned before I get there.

With that said, I would greatly appreciate input/suggestions on a few short, safe and scenic hike suggestions.

From what I read Kaaterskill and North/South Lake Region look near each other, so I'm going to post is both forums.

Thank you
Jim
AppalachianNature

Re: Suggestions for Complete NewB

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Nothing is entirely safe. Even on an easy trail there could be a snake or bear, you could get in an accident with a deer on your way to the trailhead, but as for a relatively easy hike with great views I've heard Giant Ledge is a good one.

North/south campground has bears roaming around looking for food so that should be exciting, apparently they've never attacked anyone but sometimes the campground staff drives around blasting dog barking sounds to try to clear them outta there. So if you hear some grunting in the morning it's just your friendly local black bear sniffing around.