If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Suggestions for Complete NewB

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
JimB

Suggestions for Complete NewB

Unread post by JimB »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm taking my family on our first hike. We are coming into the area on Monday afternoon, staying in the Windham area and I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of information and I'm a better learner when doing than reading. I will be able to digest better once I get in the area and a map, but want something planned before I get there.

With that said, I would greatly appreciate input/suggestions on a few short, safe and scenic hike suggestions.

From what I read Kaaterskill and North/South Lake Region look near each other, so I'm going to post is both forums.

Thank you
Jim
mtnclimber

Re: Suggestions for Complete NewB

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Hiking Windham High Peak from Route 23 might be a good hike. It is a fairly easy hike. About 6 miles round trip.

North-South Lake is also good. Lots of trails there. Just make sure you have a map. Lots of trails. Fairly easy walking.

Kaaterskill High Peak is a difficult hike. But, Huckleberry Point is an excellent hike. Easy hike. About 5 miles round trip. Can never go wrong with that hike. Great views at the end.
dundee

Re: Suggestions for Complete NewB

Unread post by dundee »

You can buy a set of maps for the Catskills here:
http://www.nynjtc.org/