If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Is there any other way to get to Poet's Ledge besides Malden

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
AppalachianNature

Is there any other way to get to Poet's Ledge besides Malden

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

?

I've heard people have had their cars towed even from some of the legal parking areas where residents have spray-painted "no parking" illegally. I would really like to hike with the piece of mind that I will not have to deal with tracking down my towed vehicle after a long walk. Can you get to Poet's ledge via Twilight Park and is there legal parking in that area, Haines Falls I believe?

Also, if anyone is interested in doing the Poet's ledge hike from any angle give me a shout, thanks. I'm not worried about bears they are my friends ;
Jon

Re: Is there any other way to get to Poet's Ledge besides Malden

Unread post by Jon »

you can park on rte. 23a, about 1/3 of a mile before the bridge that goes over Kaaterskill. It you're heading west on 23A (up the clove) it's on your right, just before the sign that says you're entering the park. If you get to the little bridge over Kaaterskill, turn around in the Malden ave. road stub, and go back over and the lot will be on your left. It fits a few cars.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

They are putting a new bridge over Kaaterskill Creek, so you cannot park in the best spot. But, there should be two other places to park. The best place to access Poet's Ledge is from malden ave. The other option is bushwhacking from lower buttermilk falls. If you do that, you need to know where you are going.
AppalachianNature

Thank you very much Jon and MtnClimber. Much appreciated.
max

Unread post by max »

I went with a friend for an overnight hike to Poet's ledge and Hawkeye ledge a month back and finally after looking for somewhere to park forever we asked the people at Fernwood Restaurant at the end of Malden Ave if we could park there. They seemed fine with it and were very pleasant in general and were also fine with us using the stairs behind their restaurant to access the trailhead. They mentioned that if we were back after 5pm they would be open for dinner, so on the way out we stopped in. The food wasn't amazing but the cold beer was :)
AppalachianNature

max wrote:I went with a friend for an overnight hike to Poet's ledge and Hawkeye ledge a month back and finally after looking for somewhere to park forever we asked the people at Fernwood Restaurant at the end of Malden Ave if we could park there. They seemed fine with it and were very pleasant in general and were also fine with us using the stairs behind their restaurant to access the trailhead. They mentioned that if we were back after 5pm they would be open for dinner, so on the way out we stopped in. The food wasn't amazing but the cold beer was :)

Thank You Max for the solid advice.

I was in the area hiking but chickened out on Poets Ledge since I was alone and didn't want to run into a bear or more so a timber rattler after seeing the picture of a snake eating the frog right on the trail (on this forum). I almost stepped on a snake on a recent hike in the Catskills with a friend, we also saw some bear markings on a tree on that beautiful hike. I should have done Poet's Ledge, but I will when I have a hiking partner. I plan to have a snack at the Fernwood first and inquire about parking there while hiking, as you suggest, and some cold beer afterwards.