If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Movie quote

Discussion of anything else that doesn't fit into the other forum categories.
ssjamk65

Movie quote

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

The other night I watched the recent movie called "Run All Night", starring Liam Neeson and Ed Harris. It caught me off guard when Liam Neeson's character handed his son the car keys and said, " Take the thruway up to Haines Falls and go to the cabin on North-South Lake". Never thought I would see that area called out in a movie.
dundee

Re: Movie quote

Unread post by dundee »

Yeah, funny how stuff pops up in a movie. Perhaps the kid who runs out to get the donuts is from Haines falls, you don't never know.

There was an episode of Law & Order where they mentioned the Starlight Motel on Rt. 9W.
mike

Unread post by mike »

That's awesome. I'll have to download the movie and watch it. Liam Neeson lives over in Dutchess County. There are quite a few others that have homes up around Phoenicia.
ssjamk65

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

I think my favorite North Lake area being used in the media is the music video by the Scottish band Simple Minds for the song " Alive and Kicking". It was filmed at the Mountain House site as well as Kaaterskill Falls and also on the small island in South Lake. What the band probably didn't know was that in 1850 a man fell off the lower part of the falls and broke his leg above the knee and had some other injuries as well. He was nursed back to health at the Laurel House. The next year he returned to the Laurel House and next to his name in the register he put " Alive and Kicking ". This story from 1850 is mentioned in the end notes of Van Zandt's book The Catskill Mountain House.

Ties in nicely with the other thread about the increased parking and traffic at the falls. And the potential for more accidents there.

Scott