If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hiking partner/parking; Platte Clove (w/respect 2 residents)

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
AppalachianNature

Hiking partner/parking; Platte Clove (w/respect 2 residents)

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Hello I'm trying to find a hiking partner to go about half-way up Platte Clove passed a few falls to the amazing swimming hole (don't want to rush my first attempt as I heard some slopes are slippery with pine needles)

I'm looking for a way to park at the bottom of Platte Clove so I can hike Half-Way up the Clove to see a few waterfalls and go swimming... Or perhaps another alternative? Possibly pay someone in the area to drive me down from the Parking lot above? Or maybe pay someone who lives in West Saugerties to park in their driveway?

What do you think my best option would be? I'm very respectful of residents and I don't want to disturb anyone's peace or possibly get towed away.

I'll be driving from Far Eastern Mass on the coast (I know, I'm not like them) and hopefully arriving in a couple days after a brief stop in the Berkshires. I would love to figure out a way to get into the Clove from the bottom. Seems a bit difficult so I'm trying to plan ahead.

I'm from Vermont originally but have only been to the Catskills very briefly, that needs to change! I'm intrigued by this part of Appalachia, the waterfalls, the rocks, the cliffs, trails that start their incline right away with wonderful views (I don't like long lead-ups), exactly what I'm looking for and I can't wait but I've not been able to find hiking partners around here everyone is too busy!

I'd also be interested in doing other hikes with anyone, if you will help me do (half-of) Platte Clove I would gladly accompany you wherever you want to hike/explore in the general Catskills region (or even ADKs but would prefer the Catskills or Shawungunks perhaps Minnewaska area).
Jon

Re: Hiking partner/parking; Platte Clove (w/respect 2 residents)

Unread post by Jon »

you can try contacting this guy. I've gone with him up platte clove. He goes often.

Other than that you should just get a trail map or browse around this website for other places to go. There are several streams & waterfall hikes in the Catskills.
AppalachianNature

Good idea, Thank you Jon. I've recently stumbled onto his amazingly detailed account. It's part of what I have been studying, I've already saved that page to my laptop and plan to print it out for when I hike. If he would be up for it he is the perfect guide/hiking partner, but he's an expert on the Clove at this point and I wouldn't want to slow him down as I'm looking at going at a more leisurely pace; stopping for a couple hours at the main swimming hole about halfway up, then retreating. Not sure if he's up for something like that, but wow at his ascent up the Clove AND Hell's Kitchen! That looked like quite an adventure and at one point they had to really chance it to keep going upward.

I play it safe when hiking and I'm good on rocks, so don't worry I'm not going to take any big risks but it would help to have another (guy or girl) with me. I'm Male in my early 30's for anybody who's wondering but get along well with younger or older heads, doesn't matter who it is or what type of person.

I guess it wouldn't be advised to try to climb down to the main swimming hole, and then back up again? (parking at the top).

I like your motto by the way Jon; "Hike today, work tomorrow."
Last edited by AppalachianNature on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
AppalachianNature

Seems I've merged Hell Hole's Creek and Devil's Kitchen into one name above, probably not a good idea.
AppalachianNature

Excuse me Jon, didn't realize it was you even though I have your first Platte Clove account saved as well. You guys are the guys! You, Christian and Alex! Hey thanks so much for sharing your trips up the clove, it's really great that you chose to take the time to post pictures, accounts, and routes to assist in making it safer for future Platte Clove explorers.

I did try pm'ing Christian, however it said the user to be added does not exist when I tried to send it. Probably something I'm doing wrong since I'm not entirely familiar with internet forums in general. Anyway, if anyone is up for it and is coming from a distance I will gladly help them with gas money, buy them lunch and a little bit extra if they would like. I would also gladly pay anyone who lives in West Saugerties if they would be willing to rent out their parking space for a day (as long as it's not too steep since I'm not loaded lol).
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

AppalachianNature wrote:I'm not entirely familiar with internet forums in general
yah things move a bit slower here than on social media. One thing you should notice is there is an "edit" button on the top right of posts you have made as long as you're logged in. So if you put something and want to change it you can. Likely people won't see your post for a day or two. To tell you the truth I've never really used the PM, and I don't know why it wasn't working. I would suggest if you want to start exploring in the Catskills to buy a map (NYNJTC) or others and try some of the easier to get to yet spectacular streams. I don't know of places where you are legally allowed to swim. You will need to check the local/state laws and regulations on any body of water before you go for a dip. I do most of my swimming in lakes (Lake George is nice)!. I do know that there are trails which cross and follow some pretty awesome streams.

Stream trips(other than cloves):
Batavia Kill> end of Rt 56/Big Hollow Rd. Maplecrest, NY. This is up near blackhead mountain in the northern range of the catskills and there are many cool rocks and small cascades. I always like the hike along this. You can take the trail all the way to a lean-to and camp out there for a night. It's easy!

East Branch Neversink> end of Denning Rd. Claryville NY. This stream heads from the flanks of Slide mountain, tallest of the Catskills, to the delaware. There is a trail that follows the stream for a while and then an unmarked "fisherman's path" that follows almost to the headwaters. The fisherman's path crosses the stream several times, so I know that you will get your feet wet. There are many cool cascades there I've hiked about 6 miles along it a few years back.

Westkill> End of Co Rd 6/Spruceton rd., West Kill NY. This stream comes from the converging valley of three mountains, Westkill, Hunter, and Southwest Hunter. There is an easy hike from the end of the road up to a waterfall at Diamond Notch. There are many smalller cascades along the way.

Esopus Creek> Route 28, basically the entire length once you get to Phoenicia, NY. Just grab a tube and get a ride upriver. This stream is raging, will get you soaked, many people kayak canoe fish etc. There is a cross-basin aqueduct that brings water in from the Schoharie, and when this is open the Esopus becomes a raging torrent. You can find plenty of public access points. I'm sure there are tubing companies that will give you rides.

These places are not going to be as dangerous or over-crowded as the cloves on the eastern escarpment, but they will still get you wet. The cloves are prohibitive for many reasons, one being that it's so difficult to find parking, especially during the summer, on a hot day, when everyone is trying to get to a swimming place.
mike

Unread post by mike »

There is also Fawn's Leap. About 20' high. Nice deep pool. Just don't bring alcohol there. The DEC and police are there every day. Park at the lower parking lot to Kaaterskill Falls. Then walk down the road to Fawn's Leap. It is just before Moore's Bridge.
AppalachianNature

Thanks for the suggestions, I do know about fawns leap and plan to go there and jump but probably not off the tree like the older infamous gentleman there , haha .

Anyway, thanks and great suggestions Jon I really do like hikes with water involved, and I'm not so worried if it's legal or not. I plan to definitely do Huckleberry point as well, and I heard Wittenberg has great views. I like views as well, more interested in views and water then peaks. But I respect the 3500 club, and would be interested in a bit of trailess hiking as well, to try it out. Just finishing up some car repairs (myself so hope all goes well) today then should be heading out. Not sure if I'm taking my labtop (I may) but will check back eventually from somewhere probably while I'm there on the off chance someone wants to try Platte Clove, maybe someone who's never done it that is interested since I know a bit from studying Jon and Christian's posts, etc... I can cautiously lead the way around the falls.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

good luck. Wittenberg is great. Just remember that you need to pay a day-use fee to park at the campground during the summer season. I am probably going to backpack Witt this weekend, but might be after you are already gone.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I have read that one of the pools in Platte Clove is the best swimming hole in NYS. But, very hard to get to. I know that people have been killed trying to get to it. I would get someone who knows the region to hike with.