If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hiking partner/parking; Platte Clove (w/respect 2 residents)

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
AppalachianNature

Re: Hiking partner/parking; Platte Clove (w/respect 2 residents)

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Disaster Strikes; but I was lucky. I finished my starter, belt, and other small repairs and finally set off Wednesday. Car running great! Got on highway about 15 minutes from my apt and my car starts pulling right heavily, thought it was a stuck caliper at first but ended up being a rapidly leaking tire, first time I've had a flat on the highway, a bit scary but I pulled off and only had to drive on rim for 100 feet or so (steel rim is rugged and able to be reused). Lugnuts frozen in position, mildly injured my back trying to take them off with the tire iron... couldn't get them off! (Old Car but rides great when tires are fully inflated) Had to walk to the nearest tire shop (not too far luckily) and paid them small fee to bring the power tool just to remove the lugs. I put the spare on on the highway and today I put the real tire back on. Not sure if I'm leaving (again) today or tomorrow, as my back is a bit sore, lol.

I would enjoy a hiking partner for Wittenberg. Jon what time do you plan to arrive this weekend (if you're still going) and would you be interested?

I will check back, or I think I gave you my number? I set my own schedule (benefit of not earning much) so anyone reading who's interested give me a shout and let me know when you're planning to be there. Is Wittenberg a busy trail? Main thing I'm worried about is a snake bite or twisted ankle as sometimes I break into a run to make time up or down, plus I have a habit of enjoying nature a bit too much and not always looking where I'm stepping, We don't have as many snakes in the Green or White Mountains and I've heard a couple reports of snakes being heavy in some areas in the Catskills. I'm wearing a hat with a reptile to try to show solidarity (although I guess snakes eat other snakes so maybe not such a good idea).
Last edited by AppalachianNature on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AppalachianNature

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Thanks Mtn Climber, but if I can get in alone I will be very tempted (beyond my control). IF I am injured or killed let it be known - it is my fault (or misfortune) and mine alone. Let it affect nobody's else ability to enjoy the Clove, or their right to risk their life or limbs. Of course, I will take serious precautions in dangerous areas.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

left friday got back saturday. Wittenberg is a fairly popular trail for hikers. It's a bit steep so not many families, but it's part of the Burrough's traverse which is a nice little 2 day backpack that many do.