If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

anyone up for trailless hiking - June 19 & 20?

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
daveoleary

anyone up for trailless hiking - June 19 & 20?

Unread post by daveoleary »

I am making my way through the 3500' list, and I've made it through all except several of the trailless peaks. I would like to complete a couple more hikes next weekend (June 19 & 20), Friday afternoon and Saturday morning/early afternoon. I've already completed several of trailless peaks, too, (Vly, Big Indian, Leavitt, and others) so here are some of the hikes I'm considering:
Friday: KHP/Roundtop (I figure I can do this one solo but would appreciate company). Planning to start hiking around noon or early afternoon since that is the soonest I will be able to make it to one of the trailheads. I'm also open to other options.
Saturday options: Rusk, Halcott/Sleeping Lion, Sherrill, North Dome, Graham (info on how to seek permission would be helpful!), Fir... I'm up for just about anything but I need to get headed home before too late, so one of the shorter hikes is preferred. The long range forecast is for rain on Saturday but of course there is plenty of time for that to change.
I'm pretty comfortable with bushwhacking, route finding, etc., just would like to have someone with me in the off chance of a twisted ankle or worse when climbing over ledges.
Let me know if you are interested either by responding on this thread or send me email - daveol@earthlink.net
thanks.
Jon

Re: anyone up for trailless hiking - June 19 & 20?

Unread post by Jon »

the info for permission to graham/doubletop is on the 3500 club website.

http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/catsk ... tain.shtml

Wish I could go, wife is in a wedding that weekend >.<

Have fun and be safe
-jon
daveoleary

Unread post by daveoleary »

Thanks for the pointer, I should have known to check the C3500 page. I ended up hiking Graham & Balsam Lake Mtn this afternoon. Very nice day! Heading south now and probably some AT hiking on Saturday.... Back for more Catskills hiking in July.
AppalachianNature

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Sorry I missed this, I've done a bit of bushwacking but I've never done trailess hiking up an entire Mountain, sounds intriguing! Well, other than the possible ticks you may encounter. But I would definitely be up for it, I'm a decent hiker nothing too serious but I can move pretty well (I'm in average shape). I like hikes that pass bye or end up at swimming holes (popular or not) because I like to hike on clear sunny days so I tend to get hot, nothing like jumping in the water after a nice hike (or halfway through).

Speaking of which, I'm looking for a hiking partner to do the majority of (or at least half of) Platte Clove from the bottom. There seems to be problems with parking down at the bottom of the clove (which is where I would like to start) so there's that.

Did you get to see any views at all on the trailess Mountains or is it only through the woods, under cover? Sounds good either way I should be around in July. I also may be around this next week if I can find someone to hike Platte Clove with me, I don't want to do it alone though some have advised me that I'll be fine (but the other half say you can easily get into a bad situation in the Clove so it's not advised to do it alone.) I would mainly be worried about a snake bite or badly twisted ankle, but I guess there is some routes around certain falls which you shouldn't attempt, which I have been reading up on.

I love hikes involving waterfalls and/or swimming holes.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Platte Clove is a difficult place to hike. The lower part of the clove isn't that bad. But, once you get up in the upper part it gets quite dangerous. Then there is Hell's Hole. It is a God awful place to hike. Get hurt in there, and you will need a helicopter ride out. Some people have been serious injured in there. Including one member here who almost died. You definitely want to hike with a reliable buddy. You also want to take your time, and not take unnecessary risk.

Here is a trip report from Jon and some of his friends: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=897&sid=a512a7ff4c3 ... 4d5fde44a7
AppalachianNature

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Thank you for the warning and link, Mike. It's appreciated. Yes, I would definitely not attempt Hell Hole's Creek and Devils Kitchen at this point, that is for sure. Perhaps in the future when I have proper gear, a reliable buddy and my endurance is back where it would need to be (I can dream) but maybe not at all lol. I've checked out his amazing account, the best on the net, saved it for future reference.