If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New to this...

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
preed

New to this...

Unread post by preed »

I'd like to get some hiking in this summer. Suggestions for the best way to get in shape for doing some mountains this summer? Suggestions for moderate hikes I can start with? Thanks.
mike

Re: New to this...

Unread post by mike »

Hunter Mtn Loop
Windham High Peak
Hiking around North-South lake
Kaaterskill High Peak
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Getting in shape is about four main variables:
1) weight
2) distance
3) elevation
4) terrain

Pushing your limits on these can aide in improving your hiking abilities. For instance, a 1 mile hike with 100 feet of elevation gain, easy terrain and 10 lbs of backpack is going to be easier than 30 lbs of backpack. Changing any of the variables will change the difficulty of the hike. Sometimes difficult terrain (Adirondacks/Whites) can make a 5 mile hike feel more like a 10 mile hike. Elevation can get the better of you as well, I consider any gain more than 1000ft/mile as "steep". Meaning I'm probably going to be huffing and puffing and drinking more water. If you're doing over 1000 feet gain/loss in 0.5 miles (such as some of Devil's Path) then expect to be going vertically enough to use your arms.

To get in shape it depends on what you have near you, the best thing to do is find a good local daily cardio-hike. Something that can be done in less than 1.5 hours is good, since you can get in some decent exercise and not interfere with your daily schedule. I like to hike up the Delaware watergap because it's close to home (<20 min drive) short, less than 1.5 miles, but it is steep (1100 ft+ of gain). It is rather difficult terrain, with a lot of tough rocks, and I can vary the difficulty by increasing or decreasing my weight.

Most of the mountain summits in the Catskills are day-hikes. You can expect anywhere from 1500-2500 feet elevation gain to get up most of them. Most of the trails are between 6-10 miles round-trip (3-5 miles one-way).

So if you want to work your way up to hiking to these summits, it would probably be a good idea to start out with smaller goals. Like first do some morning cardio-hikes for a few weeks to get your body used to the workout. Then start increasing to larger hikes on the weekends. Start out do 3 or 4 mile hikes with 500-1000 feet gain. Then on a weekend find a hike that is 5-6 miles with 1500 feet of gain. Keep looking for new places and increasing each time. Another option if you are limited in hikes is to just increase your backpack weight. I like adding water because it's pretty heavy (toss a few gallons in there!) and you don't have to worry about being dehydrated.

I like the incremental method because what a lot of people do is try to bite off more than they can chew the first time, they get beyond fatigue and don't have a very good time. It's better to work up to it depending on your basal level of activity and then head for the mountains.
AppalachianNature

Unread post by AppalachianNature »

Do you live in the area? Would you like to go halfway up Platte Clove (I don't think it's too difficult but I've never been) to the Red Falls swimming hole? Sounds like a great moderate to easy hike though it may require cutting through the creek at one point. The only problem is parking at the bottom, that's why I asked if you lived in the area so you could scout it out lol, I'll give you directions apparently the parking situations is "evolving" or some such... Wouldn't want to get towed. I live in Eastern Massachusetts atm (I know, I'm not like them) so I don't want to drive all the way out if I can't find a place to park and hike up the Clove and see some waterfalls and the amazing swimming hole.