If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Palenville Swing Bridge

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
mike

Palenville Swing Bridge

Unread post by mike »

The Palenville Swing Bridge is around 100 years old. It has been an important part of Palenville. It links the town on both sides of the creek. The owner of the bridge is Pine Grove Hotel ( Image ). The owner no longer can afford to carry the liability. While the owner would be covered by the Recreational Use Act, there is still a risk. He has asked the town to take over the bridge. The town as not responded if they would do this. So far, it doesn't look goodl

There have been suggestions that they might be able to get a conservation easement from the State.
mtnclimber

Re: Palenville Swing Bridge

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I've heard about the bridge, but never seen it. Might be a good way to Poet's Ledge. I guess it depends upon parking.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

Do you need special permission from the Pine Grove Hotel to look at the bridge or can you just walk in? I'd love to see it some time.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

The best way to approach it is from the mountain side. The one side ends at the road. But yes, you can walk across it now w/o permission.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Cool! I'm going to have to check it out.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

I'd like to pass along the same warning that I shared with Mike:

I went to see the swing bridge on Saturday morning 09/18/2010. The south approach is not practical since there is no place to park (No Parking signs are posted every few feet along the entire length of Mill Road) and a police car was prowling the neighborhood.

I then drove to the north side (23A) and pulled into the Pine Grove Hotel. I was immediately "greeted" with a VERY irate individual who demanded to know who I was, why I was there, who I worked for (!), and on and on. I explained to him as calmly and courteously as I could that I simply wanted to take pictures of the swing bridge. I also offered to IMMEDIATELY leave with a full apology. Apparently, my polite demeanor softened him a bit and he shared with me the fact that he just bought the property and was already facing civil litigation due to someone falling on the premises and suing him. His concern was that I, in some way, represented the plaintiff and wanted to get pictures for evidence.

In all fairness, he did allow me to park and take some photos (although he ordered me to ONLY take photos of the bridge and NOT the HOTEL or any of the grounds) and I graciously expressed my appreciation and thanks. I asked for his name (so that I could send him send photos as a courtesy) but he only gave me his first name ("Paul") and then irately demanded to know why I wanted his last name. It was obvious I was not welcome. I took my photos, thanked him one last time, and quickly left.

My advice to everyone is to NOT enter his property at all costs! While I certainly sympathize (and empathize) with his anger towards the person who is suing him, that does not justify the rudeness and disrespect with which he spoke to me. Mind you, this guy is opening a business in which he will have to deal with the public on a daily basis - all kinds of people! If he treats his guests the way he treated me, he will be out of business in three days.
2010-0918-SwingBridge-01-3-Fix.jpg
2010-0918-SwingBridge-02-1-Fix1.jpg
2010-0918-SwingBridge-03-1-Fix.jpg
2010-0918-SwingBridge-04-1-Fix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Great pictures! Looks like the one side needs to have a new concrete containment built around the footing.

Sorry to hear that the owner was so upset.

I have heard from quite a few people that they would like to see the bridge saved and owned by the State. Some have expressed interest in making it part of the Long Path. Personally, I think it is a great idea. This would give the owner of the Pine Grove House some customers who are hiking the LP.

I do know that the town would like to make the closed section of Malden Ave a park. Also a great idea.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice collection of pictures. Too bad the bridge is in this position. A bridge that no one wants to own, but everyone wants to use.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Thanks! I agree with Mike that making the bridge part of the Long Path would be a great idea. In any event, I hope this piece of history is saved and preserved.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Seems that the Palenville community is getting really angry at the Pine Grove Hotel. Seems that he claimed that he owned the Swing Bridge. He doesn't. It is owned by the town. And the town has a legal right away over the Pine Grove Hotel. Seems that the Pine Grove Hotel is now preventing access to this right away. People in the community are now banding together to fight the owner. It sounds like it is going to get ugly.

It is our understanding that the Pine Grove Hotel has not opened up yet, but he is building a horrible reputation with the community.

We have also heard that someone fell on the Pine Grove Hotel property and they are suing the owner of the Pine Grove Hotel.