If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Eagle & Haynes Mountain

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
mike

Eagle & Haynes Mountain

Unread post by mike »

A couple of weeks ago, I attempted to climb Eagle from Seager PA. Part way up, I decided to explore a section. That exploration turned into climbing up very near Big Indian. I then planned on cutting across to Eagle by the trail. I later changed my mind. During that hike I encounter some animal hissing loudly at me in the deep ferns. Never learned of what it was.

Then about a week ago, I climbed Eagle and Haynes from Rider Hollow Road. There is no easy way to get to the top of Eagle Mtn. There are about 3 ways to get there with the same amount of mileage. A forth way is the longest.

Left Rider Hollow and had a good experience of hiking thru Stinging Needles by the many stream crossings. Really sort of sucked. Had high hiking boots with Shorts. As long as it didn't touch my legs I was fine. But, in many areas the trail was completely overgrown.

I did have a good experience of a Red Admiral butterfly landing on my pants. It just would not leave. Nice experience.

Once I got to the col, I then headed up to Haynes Mtn. The trail was overgrown with prickers grown into the trail. The trail doesn't get much maintenance. I then headed over to Eagle Mtn. Ran into a couple girls hiking. We explored Eagle looking for a canister. For some reason it doesn't have one.

It is really a lousy hike in the summer. NO views what-so-ever! Just needles and pricers to deal with. In the winter it is probably a much better hike.

You can check out the hike here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/BIW-eagle.html
mtnclimber

Re: Eagle & Haynes Mountain

Unread post by mtnclimber »

This hike sounds a lot like Fir Mtn. Nice walk in the Winter, but a little boring in the summer.