If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Devil's Kitchen Accident #3

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
dave

Devil's Kitchen Accident #3

Unread post by dave »

Larry J. Palumbo, 48 year old, of Valley Cottage NY (Rockland County) man took a significant fall in the Devil's Kitchen. He fell 60'. The accident happen around 11:00 to 11:30 AM this morning on Saturday, July 31, 2010. His hiking partner called 911 for help. The man sustained significant injuries. He was reported to be conscious when rescuers reached him. It took officials several hours to reach him. He was later transported to Albany Medial Center by helicopter. (Updated Aug 2)

One of the entrances to Devil's Kitchen. Slip here, and you can tumble hundreds of feet. You will be injured or killed.

One of the walls of Devil's Kitchen. This one is 100-150' high, and the floor is steep, mossy, and dangerous.

This is a picture of Hell's Creek. The water cascades down about 100' down this chasm. Very dangerous.

Picture of Bridal Veil Falls. The boulders are the size of cars or buses. Very dangerous.

More details to follow:
mike

Re: Devil's Kitchen Accident #3

Unread post by mike »

I was hiking in Big Indian Wilderness area today. I did pass through Tannersville. Sounds like he might have fell around Rainbow Falls. Could have fallen in a number of places. I did call someone, and they said that they repel ed down the canyon from Platte Clove Road. There are an awful lot of places to fall.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

that's terrible! Every time there is another accident, people learn about the place and want to go there. Hope he is OK.
kristoon

Unread post by kristoon »

This is unbelievable. First, my Dad. Then, Olivia. Now this?
I am praying hard for the man who fell today - hoping he is able to make a full recovery.
alexis

Unread post by alexis »

Hope he recovers quickly. A lot of dangerous places. A 60' tumble doesn't surprise me. You really need ropes to hike down there safely.