If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Alder or Echo Lake: Camping Crowds?

Discussion about cooking, camping, motels/hotels, and general living in the Catskill Mountains.
noamichael

Alder or Echo Lake: Camping Crowds?

Unread post by noamichael »

Hey everyone!

I've been planning to find a nice quiet place to camp in the Catskills with my buddy over the weekend. I usually avoid talking about specific locations because of social media and how destructive it can be to these wild places, especially with covid causing the masses to flee north, but I trust the users on this forum to be kind stewards of the lands.

I'm essentially trying to find a place to camp two nights which has access to some longer trails and isn't that crowded. Alder Lake by Balsam Lake mountain and Echo Lake near Overlook both seem to be interesting spots with connections to some nice trails that I spotted on my maps. I'm concerned, however, that I won't be able to get a site because I wouldn't be arriving until around 8 or 9 on a Friday night. Does anyone know if these spots get overly crowded? It's hard to judge by the information currently online.

Thanks!

-Michael
dave

Re: Alder or Echo Lake: Camping Crowds?

Unread post by dave »

Both are crowded. Echo Lake has rattlesnakes. Both have bears. Lots of partying at Alder. Personally I would pick Alder. If you don't mind paying, North-South Lake has the best campgrounds. Great hiking.