If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Blackhead 3/30/2016

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
maphiker

Blackhead 3/30/2016

Unread post by maphiker »

Hi all. This is my first post here.

I couldn't decide whether to hike KHP or Blackhead. I hiked Blackhead last March but decided to go for it again because of the views. What a difference a year makes. Instead of crazy deep snow and thick ice, the trails were in great shaped. I brought crampons and microspikes just in case. For the most part, there was no snow or ice. The last 250 ft up to Blackhead did have quite a bit of soft-ish ice and I decided to don my microspikes. Maybe they were not absolutely necessary but they were much more comfortable.

I am always amazed by the approach near the lean-to as the trail rises to meet the top of the escarpment. The views out to Round Top, Catskill and the Hudson, etc. were outstanding. After reaching the summit I took the detour left for Camp Steel and the lookout approximately 0.25 miles east, an easy walk. I have never seen that spot and I was glad I made the effort, it's not to be missed. The hike down to Lockwood Gap is steep and dramatic. I noticed several steel posts rising about 12 inches out of the ground and supporting rocks. It looks like someone is trying to reinforce the trail to prevent undue erosion. I stopped to take a drink from the spring before descending into the quite forest below. There I stopped to view the multiple waterways and gentle falls.

There were two other groups on the trail. One signed in before me and one after me. I never saw either of them, though both groups signed out before me. :o
Last edited by maphiker on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike

Re: Blackhead 3/30/2016

Unread post by mike »

Sounds like you had a nice hike. There are two lookouts down towards Camp Steel. The 2nd one has the best views. Blackhead is always nice to hike. I like to hike it from the lockwood gap side. Nice either way. Years ago, the top of blackhead was cleared off. I bet the views were spectacular.
maphiker

Yes, I believe I went all the way to the second lookout. It is quite spectacular.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Yup, the 2nd view is better. blackhead is a real nice hike any time of the year. Just don't want to be there in high winds.
maphiker

Here a picture.
DSCN1293a_005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think that is the 1st view point. But I could be wrong.
maphiker

mike wrote:I think that is the 1st view point. But I could be wrong.
Next time I'm up there I'll go farther. It was quite a large ledge. Hard to imagine it gets better than that.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Both view points are excellent. But, the second one is better. The first one has "Camp Steel" painted on the rock.
maphiker

Panorama1a_006.JPG
mike wrote:Both view points are excellent. But, the second one is better. The first one has "Camp Steel" painted on the rock.
Yes, I did hit the second view point. It was well past the "Camp Steel." Also I superimposed my GPS track on yours and indeed, I did go as far as you to the second view point.
The first picture above was taken from the extreme right of the view point. Here is a panorama of the entire view. Hope you can enjoy it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think that solves it!