If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Warmer weather is coming - Finally!

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
bikenhike

Warmer weather is coming - Finally!

Unread post by bikenhike »

Looks like a lot of the snow in the Catskills will be melting out this coming week. Still have snow from 2000-2500'. There will still be some snow into May. I don't remember snow lasting that long.
mike

Re: Warmer weather is coming - Finally!

Unread post by mike »

Yesterday, there was a lot of icing on the trees. But, it melted out very quickly once the sun came out. Feels like we are a month behind.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Snow into May isn't that uncommon. One of my hiking partners fell on her nether regions on the ice on KHP on May 4 a couple of years ago. I'm sure Mike remembers. (The ice was almost all gone, but there were still patches on the monorail on the north side). When I did Huntersfield on April 26 last year, the ice was only just gone from the top - Mike had reported heavy ice just the week before. I could see snow at Ski Windham and on the top of the range beyond.

ImageSki runs by ke9tv, on Flickr

Ditto for doing Balsam and Eagle a week later. The woods were muddy as all get-out - an indication that the frost was still in the ground - and the streams were really high. I was wading at all four of the rock hops going down into Rider Hollow.

But I'm looking forward to getting out again. I haven't really been out all winter. Life's been getting in the way. Just a half-dozen or so climbs to go for the 35.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Hiked Overlook yesterday and still lots of snow on the trail beyond the hotel. Lots of sun and it was quite warm but didn't see any snakes.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The key temperature for the rattlesnakes to come out is 52F. They should start to come out this week.

There is still 3' of snow on the 3500' mtns. So, bring your snowshoes.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Any idea when Platte Clove Road might be opening this year? Jeff Senterman's report this morning said it's still closed. Normally it opens April 15.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

It usually opens April 15th. But, if there is still snow, then it will open later. If they are working on the road (digging or tree clearing), this will delay the opening. I would expect it to be any day now.
Timberline315

Unread post by Timberline315 »

Any idea if there's still snow up on Overlook?
Didn't all winter and like to do a tune-up hiking something easy.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Timberline315 wrote:Any idea if there's still snow up on Overlook?
Didn't all winter and like to do a tune-up hiking something easy.
How about Wolf Hill in the Helderbergs on Saturday? I'm thinking of heading up there to get GPS tracks of the trails for OpenStreetMap. Same with me, I want to get in some easy walking before tackling a peak-bag. Haven't had time to be out since January. None of those little preserves (except for Copeland Hill, which I did about this time last year) is in the map yet, and I was thinking of mapping them when I get the odd opportunity here and there.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Overlook has minor snow on it in shady parts of the trail. Nothing that requires snowshoes, crampons, micro spikes, etc. Just walk around the snow while on the trail!