If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bearpen 14 Dec 2014

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
Nasrettin Hoca

Bearpen 14 Dec 2014

Unread post by Nasrettin Hoca »

I'd watched the weather map carefully during the "snow event" last week and was sure the Sterling Forest had been included. But I go there before light yesterday and could see, whatever they had gotten, only patches remained. With the skis in the car, I made a break for Bearpen, getting there kinda late. But it was nice looking for Trailheads in daylight for a change.

I've got a 2wd Minivan, the access road was a non starter, there was a deadend down the hill, but nearby and I parked there. The snow got sticky at one point, and I hadn't been on XC skis in years. My plan, was to do a little XC on the access road, then go back and get my 3 pin "telemark" skis.

But the XCs did fine so I stayed with them. Next time, I will skin up. All that said, getting on snow like this, at this point in the season, was nice.

Parking Lot

mike

Re: Bearpen 14 Dec 2014

Unread post by mike »

Bearpen is notorious for getting more rime then the rest of the catskills. Looks like the trees were beautiful.
Nasrettin Hoca

I messed up yesterday. I hadn't written down the directions for the Heisinger RD TH and wound up on something else that had the blue NYC water signs. I saw the Heisinger sign on the way out.

Ran into some ruins in the woods. Looked like it might have been a water mill and some other buidlings. Anyone know about this? Nice stonework and old.

Also, I came to a road up higher. I think it was lower than ski run road. I went both directions but it went significantly down, in both directions.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

No clue. Bearpen used to be a ski center. maybe something attached to that. Or, maybe older.
Nasrettin Hoca

Here's some of it. Surely it predates that tree.

Then there was this on the stream. Could've been a mill. One of the sections, had some stairs. Can't imagine the old guys building something this close to a stream for any other reason.

mike

Unread post by mike »

Definitely old. I would say that the second image is for a mill of some type. Not part of the bearpen ski area.