If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Apple ripe near Colgate Lake?

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
SNEAKers

Apple ripe near Colgate Lake?

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Thinking of hiking Colgate Lake area this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows if the apples are still around and ripe?

Thanks for any info!
mike

Re: Apple ripe near Colgate Lake?

Unread post by mike »

I still have a bunch of trip reports to put up. But, Alexis and I hiked from Colgate Lake to Dutcher's Notch last weekend. We stopped in the field and picked a few apples. Yes, they are ripe and ready to pick and eat. The trees on the left are more of a tart taste, while the trees on the right of the trail are more bland.

The good apples are high up. Bring something to help you get the ones near the top.

Also, the forth bridge broke, and the DEC removed it. There is NO bridge. Right now it isn't a problem, but with a heavy rain, you will not be able to cross it. Just after the second bridge, a beaver built a dam, and it flooded the muddy spot, and make it larger. Still a great hike. Also, they rerouted most of the section between the field and Dutchers Notch. Pretty much ruined the trail. So disappointing.

We did hear a Barred Owl on the way back.

SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Thanks for the info, Mike! Hopefully the rain holds off!
Rline840

Unread post by Rline840 »

Anyone been here recently this year? Thinking of going next weekend and I wanted to know if the apples are ripe yet.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think it is too early. You should wait another 3 weeks.
Rline840

Unread post by Rline840 »

Kind of figured it was a little too early. Oh well. I'm mainly interested in this hike because of the relative flatness of it, as my girlfriend isn't very accustomed to hiking so I'm trying to work her up to more difficult hikes/gradients . Any other spots you'd recommend?
mike

Unread post by mike »

hiking around north-south lake is always good. Especially along the southern part of the escarpment trail. There is some exposure, so some people feel uneasy in some places. There are a lot of trails there. Some are quite good.