If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Acra point glider wreck

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
Rivet

Acra point glider wreck

Unread post by Rivet »

To find this plane crash, I had help from above ... aerial images that is. I had heard that there was a plane crash near Acra point (N2617A). Had no real info on it, except the NTSB accident report. So, I started studying the aerial images (using Bing maps) on the off chance that I might spot something. I did see somthing suspicious along the eastern edge of the escarpment between Acra point and the notch with Blackhead mountain at around 2500 feet elevation. It looked like it could be a plane body and one wing ... or it might just be some big white rocks... no way to really tell. I could also see an old road that headed down from the col. So, I programmed my GPS and headed out. Parked at the end of CR 56 and headed up the Batavia Kill trail. Went past the lean-to, which was unoccupied, and then soon reached the intersection with the Escarpment trail. Continued straight on a path and then the old road which I followed down the other side for about 3/4 mile. I then left the road, and it was a short 5 minute climb up to the site. It turns out, that it wasn't the plane I was looking for - but a glider plane. There was a number on the underside of one wing - NC1157? (as far as I could tell) I took pictures and then continued climbing up the hill back to the Escarpment trail. Followed the trail over Acra point and then back down to the car. I searched the Internet, but couldn't find anything on this glider. Had a beautiful day though for this short trek in the woods.

Round-trip Distance: 5.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1600 ft

Location of glider site: 42°17'07.4"N, 74°05'40.2"W

some pictures
https://picasaweb.google.com/1101796538 ... directlink
mike

Re: Acra point glider wreck

Unread post by mike »

I never knew about this plane wreck. There is one off Burnt Knob on the Eastern Escarpment. I have seen it shining from Rt 23.

There was a glider crash just south of Windham High peak back in 2007? But, they carried it off the mountain in pieces. the pilots (commercial pilots) paid some locals to haul if off.

I presume that the old logging road you referred starts at the intersection of the Escarpment and the Batavia Trail?
mike

Unread post by mike »

I went to Bing to try and find the map you posted, but I only got the summer maps with the leaves on the trees.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Nice find! I'll have to check it out next time i'm in that location.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Here is a map of the plane crash site:
Rivet

Unread post by Rivet »

mike wrote:I went to Bing to try and find the map you posted, but I only got the summer maps with the leaves on the trees.
You need to select the birds eye view option. You may also need to rotate the view. These views are not available in all areas and in all four directions ... Usually just along flight paths. There is good coverage over the northern and eastern escarpment. You can easily pick out the upper stoppel point plane wreck.
Rivet

Unread post by Rivet »

mike wrote:I never knew about this plane wreck. There is one off Burnt Knob on the Eastern Escarpment. I have seen it shining from Rt 23.

There was a glider crash just south of Windham High peak back in 2007? But, they carried it off the mountain in pieces. the pilots (commercial pilots) paid some locals to haul if off.

I presume that the old logging road you referred starts at the intersection of the Escarpment and the Batavia Trail?
Yes, it is the old wagon road that leads down the other side. It seems to end somewhere near bailey road. Looks to get some use as there is a well defined foot path, but there are saplings starting to grow in. There are other logging roads visible in that valley (trout brook) from the imagery.
Nasrettin Hoca

Unread post by Nasrettin Hoca »

wow, this is outstanding!

I will have to try this. I started a thread two years ago about a wreck I'd heard about on Slide.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=613

eta: I tried the Stoppel Point wreck as an exercise.