If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Overlook Mountain & Echo Lake Overnight

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
scott_bot

Overlook Mountain & Echo Lake Overnight

Unread post by scott_bot »

Hi all, I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I have been using the site to look up hikes since I discovered it last winter and did a trip to poets ledge for an overnight. What an awesome site, thanks to those that keep it going!

Im thinking about hiking up to overlook then continuing on to echo lake to spend the night, sometime next week, with a friend.

Has anyone been up there since the newest snowfall? conditions? Anything to watch out for or know about this area? Any tips from those that may have been there before? All info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
-Scott :geek:
kennykb

Re: Overlook Mountain & Echo Lake Overnight

Unread post by kennykb »

It's all on old carriage roads, so the grades are pretty friendly. There's no scrambling on the trip at all.

Bring your snowshoes. There's a few feet of snow all along the escarpment. I don't know what the predicted thaw and rain later in the week are going to do to the snowpack.

The last time I was at the lean-to, it smelt horribly of that which the mice leave behind. But there are lots of campsites right by. And the lake is pretty.

If you have extra time, check out the view from the old quarry at Codfish Point.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Yup, lots of snow, so bring your snowshoes. The rain will not wash all the snow away, but it will soak it pretty good. If it gets cold at night, it will harden it quite well. Maybe it will make travelling easier? Saturday is going to be nice and around freezing up on the mtn. The lean-to is nice in the Winter. In the summer you have to watch for rattlesnakes and bears. In the Winter, space in the lean-to should be available. In the summer, the lean-to is overflowing every weekend.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Still plenty of snow out there. Most mtns still have 2' of snowpack. Even after all the rain and heat we had this week. Going to be cold next week, so nothing should change. Have a great time!