If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Graham 4-13-13

Alder Lake, Balsam Lake Mtn, Cradle Rock Ridge, Graham, Mill Brook Ridge, Woodpecker Ridge,
Jon

Graham 4-13-13

Unread post by Jon »

So I wanted to go to the final peak on my 3500 list and had called the caretaker a couple of times with no response. I was about to bail and just go on a different hike and I tried again in the morning. He picked up this time and I had permission to go!

So I kind of left NJ late and to get to the Balsam Lake Mountain parking is like the longest drive from me almost 3 hours (1 of those on beaverkill rd alone). However I did get to the parking area by around 12:30. The river seemed to be swollen from the snowmelt, and the road is still in poor condition.

I got my gear on and headed up the trail. It seems that in this southwestern portion most of the snow is gone. Here is a shot from the road by the field in the beginning of the hike

At the intersection I contemplated going up BLM first, but decided to get to Graham and then see how the weather was holding out. The forecast was good but it just seemed like it was about to rain all day.

I took the blue trail which heads up into the col between the mountains. However it skirts a very steep portion of Balsam Lake mountain, and the trail has a steep drop off on the right, and seems to be eroding down the mountain at some parts.

Here's a picture facing straight down.

The trail started to become a large stream, and stayed like that until the private land

On the border a set of perfect rocks for a snack

The trail heads around the northern side of two small hills in between Balsam Lake Mtn. and Graham. This spot still had a bunch of snow. Some places it was still 2-3 feet deep, others it was just mud. Still it was wet and sloppy and I hadn't brought my snowshoes. I wore the crampons for traction, but was sinking deep in some places.

Some places there was snow everywhere but the trail

Other places there was snow only on the trail

My 39th climb

A bit of a view above the shrubs

Here is a shot of Balsam Lake Mountain, you can just barely see the firetower on top

I might have gone up there for the view, however even on top of Graham there was only 1 thing I could hear. The constant scratching and rumbling from the rivers in the valley below. They kind of echoed off the mountains and I could hear it when the wind died down. All I could think of was that 1 section of Beaverkill rd. that was only 1/2 there to begin with getting washed out, and I would have been stranded.

I ate my ham and cheese and got down off the mountain, and out of that valley!
TrunksWD

Re: Graham 4-13-13

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Nice shots as always. Also nice to see most of the snow is gone.

Congratulations on finishing!
rock quarrie

Unread post by rock quarrie »

Nice TR and shots. I still need this one. Has anyone been up on Graham in the last week or two? If so, how are the conditions?
mike

Unread post by mike »

Lots of snow!
AWarren

Unread post by AWarren »

So, you definitely need permission from the owner?
dave

Unread post by dave »

Yes
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

See my recent response under the Graham & Doubletop category regarding owner contact. Regards. Ed
AWarren

Unread post by AWarren »

Right on.

Thanks