If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bear(?) on Northeast Aproach to Kaaterskill High Peak

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
patmauro

Bear(?) on Northeast Aproach to Kaaterskill High Peak

Unread post by patmauro »

On Sat, Jan 18, I was hiking on the NE approach to Kaaterskill High Peak (23A starting point, http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/KM-falls.html) when we encountered some wildlife between Viola and Wildcat Falls right on the trail. About 90% of the way between Viola and Wildcat, the trail goes up a 3-4' rock step (covered in ice this time of the year). I was showing the hiker behind me a handhold when we heard (and felt) a low, prolonged growl from a cluster of bushes about 20' in front of me on top of the step. That was enough for us to retreat 100' and figure out a path around to Wildcat Falls. Based on the sound of the growl and it's volume - it resonated our chest cavities - we think the growl came from a black bear. We told all the hikers we saw on our descent about the encounter, and a few made the questionable decision to try to lure whatever animal we encountered of its den so they could see it. If they managed to find the bear, it might have moved on. One hiker said he'd seen a bear out and about around Jan 4. Apparently the weather might be messing with the bears' hibernation.

In other news, there's plenty of ice around the sides of Buttermilk Ravine. I think I saw a few 40-60' pitches of WI3 and WI4 ice just northwest of where we had the wildlife encounter, and that was before the cold freeze. I'm sure there's even better ice now.
mtnclimber

Re: Bear(?) on Northeast Aproach to Kaaterskill High Peak

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Kaaterskill mtn range is known for having lots of bears. You can find them on the trail between the falls almost every morning. It is a hard place for hunters to get to, so the population grows. They do come out in the winter. Not a lot of snow, which brings them out.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Lots of bears on this trail. I have seen them there many times. You can almost count on them being on the trail early every morning. It is too hard for hunters to get them there. Too far to drag them out of the woods or across Kaaterskill Creek. A couple years ago there was a large 500-600 pounder in a den not far from Poet's Ledge. but, a hunter shot him. I often see them around Buttermilk Falls and Twilight Park. I do have a picture of an incredible amount of bear scat around one of the dens. Never had a problem with them. If I am too close they snort or clack their teeth. Never had one growl at me there. But, every bear is different. I'll have to see if I can find that picture.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Black bears almost never growl. They make kind of a huffing or whoofing sound and clash their teeth when they're upset. But a big coyote can put on quite a growl - think Cujo. And the coyotes stay awake in the winter. Or maybe it was that cougar that people keep reporting and the DEC denies.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
kkayaker8

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

For what it's worth, all hear say, but I ran into a guy I hiked with last year, who last year described a similar situation, minus the growl, and was completely convinced it was not a bear - on KHP. Also, saw (not hear say!) fresh bear prints on Table last weekend...walked on the trail for a while and then veered off.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Yeah, that whole area around Slide is full of bears. I did the Giant Ledge/Burroughs Range loop back in October, and saw a bear sow between Giant Ledge and Woodland Valley, noticed bear tracks all over the trail between Terrace Mountain and the start of the Wittenberg scrambles, and stepped in bear poo on the Garden Path between Cornell and Slide. I was particularly careful about hanging my food that trip. ;)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.