If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Tremper Mountain Hike

Carl, Silver Hollow, Tobias, Tremper
mike

Tremper Mountain Hike

Unread post by mike »

Started out 9am at Tremper Mountain. On the way to the parking area, the fog was incredible thick. Mainly by the Hudson River. When I got to the PA, there was still some fog, but nothing bad. Sunshine was poking thru here-and-there. Two other cars arrived ahead of me. Hunters or hikers? I didn't know, so I put on the orange vest. It was warm for Thanksgiving day. About 55 degrees.

Hiked up the initial climb about 100 vertical feet, and then the 1/4 mile across the flat section to the old Jeep trail. Signed up and headed up. I wasn't too far before I hit fog. I was thick. About 50-75 feet of visibility. The ground was wet from the thick fog. The rocks and leaves made it particularly slippery. When I got up near the quarry, I couldn't see it. Was still looking for rattlesnakes, but didn't see any. When I got up around 2000 feet, the fog was gone, and the sun was shining. Ground was still wet and slippery. I did get to one switchback on the west side, and had a view over Phoenicia and the valley. The fog was still socked in. Looked cool.

Stopped at the Baldwin Lean-to and checked it out. They have a new outhouse. Stopped at the spring about 100 vertical feet up the trail. No pipe, but it was coming out of the ground.

Around 2600' the trail leveled off, and the sun was shining well. I stopped at the Tremper Mountain Lean-to, and checked it out. The structure is severely rotted, and the roof is leaking and rotting. The fire tower is about 250' away, and can be seen from the lean-to when the leaves are not on the tree.

The oak trees surrounding the fire tower are almost as high as the 47' tower. Some other people were "camped" out on top, so I could not go up there. The treads of the fire tower are rotting and becoming dangerous. The sun was shining and it was beautiful on top. Still some fog in the valley.

Hiked down and ran into a couple of people.

Final Note: I did find a set of keys to a late model Subaru. If you lost them, please contact me.
Birdman

Re: Tremper Mountain Hike

Unread post by Birdman »

Did the Tremper Mountain hike today. Finally after about 10 years(since I lived in CT.), I got to the fifth fire tower. I think out of all the towers Balsam Lake was my favorite. Truely great weather today. Not another hiker in sight. Saw all the hot spots you mentioned Mike. I assumed the rocky area was where the rattlesnakes den was. By the fire tower I saw the lean to but no cabin. Maybe that was where it was originally. I just got to the revised book on the history of all the fire towers. I will have to look it up. With nearly a 2K elevation gain, I got my exercise today.
mike

Unread post by mike »

It is a nice hike. The tower is becoming overgrown. Did you see any rattlesnakes?
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

I agree about the tower being overgrown. The cab was closed. Saw a little bit of a view as I climbed up as far as I could. On my return trip which was about 1'ish, I was cautious around the trail near the den area. It had warmed into the 60's as the morning it was in the 40's.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

oops. Didn't see any snakes.