If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

4/21/13 Spencers Ledge (Sundown WF)

Aircraft Carrier Rock, Ashokan High Point, Balsam Swamp, Bangle Hill, Big Rosy Bone Knob, Cherrytown, Denmar, East, Flat Hill, Little Rocky, Mombaccus, Pople Hill, Red Hill, Samson , Spencers Ledge, Sugarloaf (sundown), Vernooy Falls
Rivet

4/21/13 Spencers Ledge (Sundown WF)

Unread post by Rivet »

I drove to Trails End Road in the Sundown Wild Forest. Shortly after the end of the paved road, I thought that my car wouldn't make it up to the hill to the parking area. So, I backed into a small turn-around. I backed in a little too far and promptly got stuck. My front wheel spun in the soft mud. I walked down the road and found a nice neighbor who helped pull my car back onto the road. He mentioned that he pulled someone out of the same spot last year. I parked my car further down in a safe spot, and then started the hike. Hoofed up the road to the parking area. I started following the Long path, but there was too much blow-down. So, I backtracked and took the snowmobile trail instead. There was one area with a lot of downed trees from Hurricane Irene. Lots of chain saw work done here. I continued on the road/trail for about a mile. At the "No Maintenance beyond this point" sign, I followed some ATV trails past a cabin and to a camp-site. Then, I went off-trail and bushwacked up the hill to Spencers Ledge. I went to the left of the cliffs and found an easy way up. Followed along the ledges and found a nice spot with decent views. Stopped for lunch break. Headed back down and followed the trail over to Vernooy Kill Falls. Real nice, sunny day out today.

Pictures

mike

Re: 4/21/13 Spencers Ledge (Sundown WF)

Unread post by mike »

Great hike! I really like the views from Spencers Ledge. Have always wanted to get up there. Probably the perfect weekend for it. Too cold for rattlesnakes, and too warm for snow. The pics of the falls look real nice too.
Rivet

Unread post by Rivet »

I was on the look-out for rattle snakes. Fortunately for me and the dog, I never encountered any.
mike

Unread post by mike »

It generally has to be above 52 degrees for them to come out. It was too cold last weekend for them to come out.