If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Ice Climbing Jan 30/31

Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Skiing, Mountain Biking, Road Biking, Snowmobiles, Kayaking, Swimming, Canoeing, Trail-Running, Fishing, Hunting, Geo-tagging, etc
mike

Ice Climbing Jan 30/31

Unread post by mike »

I have been told that the ice froze up real well Thursday Night and Friday. It was like the thaw never happen! Climbing should be available along Rt 23a in between Palenville and Haines Falls. I would presume that they will be climbing the Falls on Rt 42 pass. :D
mike

Re: Ice Climbing Jan 30/31

Unread post by mike »

When I drove by on January 30 & 31, there were lots of ice climbers. They looked really happy. To think that 4-5 days earlier all the ice was gone. What an amazing change. On Tuesday, there was massive flooding and it was almost 60 degrees. Today, it was close to zero, with solid ice everywhere. The small amount of snow covered up the brown look. But, we could use another snow storm. The parking lots for the common ice climbing spots were packed full. Buttermilk falls were frozen, but probably needed more ice. Bastion Falls were almost completely frozen. What a change a couple days makes.
dave

Re: Ice Climbing Jan 30/31

Unread post by dave »

I am amazed how conditions have changed over a few days. Earlier in the week, you needed to wear shorts, now it is bitter cold. And, ice climbers are back out again!!! Wow!