If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Halcott & Sleeping Lion - Jan 16, 2009

Halcott Mtn, Rose, Sleeping Lion Mtn, South Vly Mtn
mike

Halcott & Sleeping Lion - Jan 16, 2009

Unread post by mike »

Maria had asked me to join her on a hike to Halcott. Since I had a poor experience two week prior, it seemed like a good idea to return. Joining us was Jim, George, Jay, and Eric. We met at the parking lot right on Rt 42 at 8:30 AM. I was the first to arrive. I got my boots on, and Jim pulled into the parking lot. We talked briefly. Soon, Maria, George, Jay, and Eric showed up. By 9 AM, we were ready to start. We headed up the side of the waterfalls, and headed straight up the mountain.

Instead of moving south to the next stream, we headed straight up. This allowed us to get the elevation out of the way, and walk on the ridge. It is a route I had not done before.

After we got to the ridge, we headed south towards Halcott. The previous night there were clouds in the mountains, so the rime crystals were beautiful. With clear blue skies, it was a very nice day. Temperatures were between 30-40 degrees. Perfect for hiking.

At the summit everyone signed in to the canister. We also had the chance to watch some snowfleas (springbacks). There is a minor view from the top, but nothing significant. But, the rime on the trees made the hike magical.

After a little talking, we agreed to head to Sleeping Lion Mountain. When we got branch off point, we noticed that Pinpin had already been there to break the trail. We followed his tracks to the summit. The ascent went quickly. At the top of Sleeping Lion we rested a bit, and had something to eat.

We then headed down the southeast face to the parking lot. At one point we had a limited view. The descent was a little steep with sliding involved. The heat of the day had warmed up the snow, so the top peeled off nicely.

mtnclimber

Re: Halcott & Sleeping Lion - Jan 16, 2009

Unread post by mtnclimber »

what a cool hike! Sleeping Lion sounds like fun. I think it would have been better if it was hiked from the other stream bed, and made into a loop. Still nice! :)
dave

Re: Halcott & Sleeping Lion - Jan 16, 2009

Unread post by dave »

We should have the hike on the site soon. We have the hike to Halcott done, but not the hike to Halcott and Sleeping Lion.