If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Rodents + Squirrels = Timber Rattlesnakes

Discussions about all wildlife, trees, plants, flowers, and geology
cjwater

Rodents + Squirrels = Timber Rattlesnakes

Unread post by cjwater »

The influx of rodents and squirrels the last couple of years has brought the return of owls. Will the timber rattlesnake population also make a comeback? Have their been any sightings of timber rattlesnakes in places that they are not normally found? Is it possible some have migrated to Slide Mountain?
mike

Re: Rodents + Squirrels = Timber Rattlesnakes

Unread post by mike »

Yes, the increase of owls since 2010 has drastically increased. Yes, it will help the spread of rattlesnakes. But, this spread is very slow, unless the DEC helps them spread. As for Slide, I would say no.

There was a rattlesnake seen on Plateau about a year ago. There was a picture taken of it. It was right on the trail.
Sam

Re: Rodents + Squirrels = Timber Rattlesnakes

Unread post by Sam »

Speaking of the Slide Area, The eastern slope of Wittenberg could potentially host a population of these bad boys one day. Great exposure from the east/south east, as well as plenty of locations for dens. How they would get there? I don't know. Glad that the rodents are returning, crucial source of food in the food web.

If they're on Plateau, then I'd venture to say that it's only a matter of time, before they spread to Diamond Notch. I know the talus there is ideal, but am trying to remember how much sun it receives. This time of the year it's probably in shadow for most of the day. I've seen ice there in early May. Maybe it's too cool after all, but it's right down the road from Plateau.