If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Another Death at Kaaterskill Falls

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
dave

Another Death at Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by dave »

Marcel R. Pilette, 58, of Delmar New York was found dead at the bottom of Kaaterskill Falls on December 29th, 2009 around 1:30 PM by another hiker. According to Greene County Coroner Hassan Basagic, Marcel Pilette died of massive head trauma. The autopsy was performed by Dr. Jeffrey Hubbard at St. Peter’s Hospital in Albany on Monday, December 30, 2009.

New York State Police are investigating the death. They believe that Marcel Pilette was alone at the top of the Falls. They have not ruled out suicide, but they do believe that it is most likely an accident. There was a lot of ice near the top of the Falls. Most of the area around the Falls slopes downward. This makes it very unforgiving if the hiker slips. It is almost impossible to recover before slipping off the top. The State Police received a phone call around 1:30 PM on December 29, 2009 that the body of a man was at the bottom of the upper Kaaterskill Falls.
mike

Re: Another Death at Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by mike »

Very sad situation. I refuse to visit Kaaterskill Falls in the Winter. Everything slopes downhill. Slip, and your a goner. I don't remember what the wind was like that day. But, if wind blows up the Falls, it can suck you off the top.
alexis

Unread post by alexis »

What a terrible tragedy! So sad to hear about another death a K-Falls. Feel bad for his family. I think he was a regular hiker in the Catskills. Not sure why he would go so close to the top.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Pretty dangerous place! What a horrible way to die. Feel sorry for him and his family.