If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hunter Mtn installing Zipline

Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Skiing, Mountain Biking, Road Biking, Snowmobiles, Kayaking, Swimming, Canoeing, Trail-Running, Fishing, Hunting, Geo-tagging, etc
dave

Hunter Mtn installing Zipline

Unread post by dave »

Hunter Mtn has announced that they will begin construction on a Zipline on January 9, 2009. January 9, 2009 is Hunter Mtn 50th anniversary. They have already installed concrete pads to enable construction during the winter. The Zipline will be a joint venture with New York Zipline Adventure Tours ("NYZAT"). NYZAT already has operations in New Hampshire and Jamaica.

Construction is scheduled to be completed by the Spring of 2010. First year operations will attract 30,000 visitors. By the 3rd year, they are estimating 60,000 visitors. Nationwide, they charge $10/ride or $65/year. It is expected to employee 29 people during the summer months when Hunter Mtn is generally closed.

The business venture was able to secure a Federal Grant for $200,000. They also secured a low-interest loan for another $200,000. It is assumed that Slutzky Construction will be performing most of the construction of the Zipline. Slutzky Construction is owned by the same people as Hunter Mtn. Greene County Dept of Economic Development was also instrumental in securing the Federal Grant. They have very close ties to Hunter Mtn.

The Zipline is a wire cable that is drawn down the mountains with multiple stop points. The rider is allowed to enjoy a thrilling ride down to point-to-point. The rider can also control the speed to the descent. This is mainly a thrill ride with an outstanding view of the valley, and a nice ride thru the forest sections.
mike

Re: Hunter Mtn installing Zipline

Unread post by mike »

I knew that they were doing something, but didn't know what it was. It looks like it will be quite the thrill ride.

I also know that they are going to put in another high-speed chair lift. They are also starting the process to add some more slopes. I have heard that they will be next to K-22. I have skied this section in the woods. It is VERY nice area! I understand that they need to make sure that all the slopes are being used. They have had a problem with keeping Westway (formally 44) covered with snow. It is an excellent slope. It is very wide, and has a steady grade to the bottom. One of the best top-expert slopes in the east. They may need to put in some trees down the middle to keep the snow on the slope.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Sounds like Hunter Mtn is getting back into building the business again. Sounds like a sale is off the table for now. They are also having their 50th year party Jan 9th. Are you guys going?
mike

Unread post by mike »

Hunter is now saying the cost of the ticket will be substantially higher then other areas. The top cost of the ticket will be $129/day. A little pricy, but it will be the best zipline in the country. It is suppose to be 5 miles long and 600' above the land in the highest place. They are hoping that this will increase tourist in the valley in the summer.