If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Spencers Ledge

Aircraft Carrier Rock, Ashokan High Point, Balsam Swamp, Bangle Hill, Big Rosy Bone Knob, Cherrytown, Denmar, East, Flat Hill, Little Rocky, Mombaccus, Pople Hill, Red Hill, Samson , Spencers Ledge, Sugarloaf (sundown), Vernooy Falls
Muerte

Spencers Ledge

Unread post by Muerte »

Hello all,the wife and I did a bushwack hike to Spencers Ledge last weekend from Trails End Rd. Made it to about 100 feet below a rock ledge out cropping. Realizing there would not be much of a view with the tree cover, and knowing my limitations, I turned back for safety purposes. Does anyone know if there are any plans to make a trail to Spencers Ledge?? Are there any spots up there that have a view in summer?? From what I could see through the trees there should be good southerly views with thinner leaf cover.
mike

Re: Spencers Ledge

Unread post by mike »

First-things-first. Welcome to the forum.

I have never hiked Spencer's Ledge, but I have looked at it before. Looking at topo's, there should be a view from the south-east side of the summit. It is highly unlikely they will ever put a new trail to the summit. With budget problems, and the DEC's unwillingness to cut new trails. I should also warn you that there are two timber rattlesnake dens in this area. It is possible that you could encounter one while hiking in this region. Always keep your eye out for them. It would be a very nice hike to do in the Winter months.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Never been there. But, I do see rattlesnakes around the falls. There is suppose to be some at Balsam swamps, which is in the middle of the trail loop. Mike, didn't you have a trip planned there last fall?
Muerte

Unread post by Muerte »

Was aware of the Rattlers and that actually added to our hike time. Every step had to be taken with caution, lots of fallen leaves covering holes between roots and fallen limbs, closer to the ledge it is very rocky and was slow going.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We had a trip planned for Little Rocky in December from Trails End Road. But, it rained so we didn't go.

Muerte...it sounds like you were aware of the dangers, and took the necessary precautions. Thumbs up!

I have been thinking about doing the loop. Is it overgrown? How often do you see rattlers in this area? Also have wanted to hike the Big Rosy Bone Knob. Is it nice?
Muerte

Unread post by Muerte »

As in "loop" are you refering to the gravel/seasonal road that leads to Greenville?? If so, no, it is open. I hike to the falls several times a year and have never seen a rattler yet. Spencers was my first bushwack so I have no knowledge of Rosy Bone.