If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Good Headlamp?

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
TobiasTicetonyk

Good Headlamp?

Unread post by TobiasTicetonyk »

Can anyone recommend a good headlamp? I'm hoping that I can start a hike a couple hours before nautical twilight and rely on it for that entire time, potentially in below freezing temperatures, in hazardous, rocky terrain (I have to see what I'll be tripping over). Is that unrealistic?

I found a cheap one, the Genesis Spark 16 LED, 7 dollars, but it may be worth the investment for one that lasts longer. The Genesis Spark is rated for 30 lumens, with a shine time of 10 hours, but that may vary depending on selected intensity and temperature.

I have never hiked at night (totally aware and prepared for nocturnal critters) but I'm starting longer hikes that require it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/learn/headlamp.html
SNEAKers

Re: Good Headlamp?

Unread post by SNEAKers »

I have the Black Diamond Cosmo LED Headlamp (you can find it on REIs website). I've used this headlamp for many Catskill night hikes including through very thick pine forests with no moon. Youll easily be able to see everything you need in terms of getting where you're going. Has never failed me and lasts 50-250 hours depending on how you set the lighting. With that said, I always carry extra batteries but haven't had to change them after ~60 hours of use.

It uses 3 AAA batteries and costs $30. I know its more than you may be looking to spend, but the $20 extra will be well worth it!
TobiasTicetonyk

Unread post by TobiasTicetonyk »

Thanks, the extra money is well worth spent if it ensures visibility, which improves safety from tripping or getting my eyes poked out from branches. How would you rate the durability for your headlamp?
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

No prob! I wouldn't be so bold as to dip it in water, but I've used it in the rain with no problem. I've also use it under my car and knocked it around pretty good with no problems. Not indestructible, but I'm never worried about breaking it during normal use.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I use one I got from Walmart. It was about $15-20 and it last 20 hours. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Nice LED lights, and you can turn some or all of them on. They had some cheaper ones there, but I didn't like them. Used it once. Worked well. The nylon case was a little cheap.
new jersey mike

Unread post by new jersey mike »

Here is a video review of 2 lamps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoeHqNW7JlA