If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Book: The Catskill 67 by Alan Via

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
mike

Book: The Catskill 67 by Alan Via

Unread post by mike »

The book: The Catskill 67 by Alan Via is scheduled to be released to the public at the end of November of 2011. Alan is well known among serious hikers in the Catskill Mountains. Alan is one of only a handful of hikers to have completed both the ADK and Catskill 100 highest lists. He helped forge the way to to finding legal access to many of the elusive peaks in the Catskills. I know that I have been waiting patiently to finally read the book. If you are a serious hiker this is a must have book.

Here is a preview of the upcoming Nov/Dec edition of the Adirondac Magazine which is published by the Adirondack Mtn Club.

Preliminary Cover of the book, "The Catskill 67 by Alan Via"

Preview of the Article from the Nov/Dec edition of the Adirondac Magazine

All images are copyright of ADK (c) 2011; ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Peakbagr

Re: Book: The Catskill 67 by Alan Via

Unread post by Peakbagr »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping readers will find a book that was designed with hiker's in mind. The guide is divided into 9 separate regions, each with its own topo map showing trailheads, parking areas and places to bike, ski and paddle. There is also a large Peakfinder map in a sleeve in the back of the book - showing the entire Catskills, not just the Catskill park and with all of the 3k peaks displayed.
I hope your readers will enjoy it.

Alan
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I look forward to reading your book Alan. It sounds very comprehensive and complete. Something that is missing with other books. The map sounds really good. Some of these smaller peaks are not that well known. Let us know when we can buy it.
Peakbagr

Unread post by Peakbagr »

When I was putting the book together, the operative question throughout the manuscript process was always "What would a hiker want to know"? I think you'll find the guide different than those that came before it for a lot of reasons.
It introduces dozens of peaks to the hiking public, mountains little or completely unknown.
9 book maps are very much connected with the peaks in each section and the peak list provides elevations, topo quad names, alternative peak names, and the chapter and map number where the peak is located in the guide. Also view, hike and bushwhacking ratings, a section on which peaks can be linked, and my own 'subjectives' for easiest, hardest, best views, best names. If you look up a peak in the index, you'll find where to look for it in the book instead of having to hunt around by trail name or locale.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Sounds like a great book. The top 35 peaks are pretty well know, and hiked to death. Some of the others are rarely visited. Nice to have a book coming out that informs us on the good stuff. I personally like to hike solo, and this books sounds like it will help me a lot. In the past, I would have to nudge Mike for some good hikes that no one knows about. Look forward to buying the book.
aomara35

Unread post by aomara35 »

Hi Alan,
I received your book from my partner of 20 years, Barbara, for my birthday. From what I've read, it's an excellent source for all Catskill hikers. Our favorite short/ warmup, hike is Acra Point, and I see that you feel the same way.
I have a question about the Camel's Hump. A group of us went up to Thomas Cole & Black Dome from Barnum Road on Saturday, and passed over the Hump.
I had the altitude of 3561' on my GPS, and it seemed to have the requisite drop before the ascent to Thomas Cole.
I'm curious as to why it's not accepted as a 35oo' peak, and even more why you didn't include it in your book.
Thanks,
Alan O'Mara
mike

Unread post by mike »

To be included on the list it must have a minimum of 200' drop from the summit to the col. Camp's Hump doesn't have the 200'. But, it is a very nice peak. Especially in the Winter.
aomara35

Unread post by aomara35 »

Thanks Mike,
I was also wondering if not the 35's, why not in the 67's. Camel's Hump seems like it's out in Limbo somewhere.
Alan
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

aomara35 wrote:Thanks Mike,
I was also wondering if not the 35's, why not in the 67's. Camel's Hump seems like it's out in Limbo somewhere.
Alan
It looks like it only has a 40 ft clean prominence I'm assuming that most people would just count it as part of Thomas Cole. It's a landmark, but not going to make any threshold lists, unless they lower the prominence requirements.

See clean prominence on peakbagger:
http://www.peakbagger.com/help/glossary.aspx#clean

They gotta draw the line somewhere I guess? Just because something isn't a mountain, doesn't mean you can't climb it.