If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Road Conditions in the Catskills

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
mike

Re: Road Conditions in the Catskills

Unread post by mike »

I think that Rt 47 is closed from Rt 28 to Frost Valley. From what I understand that the road is washed out just below the lake. Someone told me that they are not going to fix it until next year. Real issue for people wanting to access Slide Mtn from Rt 47. You can get there from the Neversink, but it will add some miles.

They are now working on Rt 23 from Windham to Prattsville. Hopefully, it will be open soon.

Not sure about Rt 42 at the deep notch.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I have also heard that the Winnisock Lake overflowed and washed out the road just below the dam. I also understand that it is washed out just below the Giant Ledge parking area too. Personally, I would like to see part of the road fixed. But, we are talking about Ulster County. They are not as capable as Greene Cty.
kkayaker8

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

Other than a one land passageway that was dug out by the National Guard the week after the flood, Deep Notch (route 42) is still closed and in the same condition, untouched. They have not started to repair the 3rd bridge into Lexington/Westkill area from Route 23a either - the one that has Beachridge Road (I can never remember if it's north or south or 1 or 2 there).....To get to Westkill to hike, one must go to Mosquito Point Bridge on Route 23a (towards Prattsville) and take Beachridge Road (bear right at the beach ridge fork) to 42, take a left back towards westkill and turn at the flag pole. There's no road to get to the trailheads at the end of the road, but I've been told you can park (there's a sign for hikers to park) and then walk.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Thanks for the update on Spruceton Road. Greatly appreciated! Many people have been asking.

Still have not seen a picture of the Deep Notch of Rt 42. I understand that they rocks/dirt in the road is massive. Nice that the National Guard is doing this. No way that the county could do it.
Chris2

Unread post by Chris2 »

Hello, does anyone know if Rt 23 through Windham is now open. The last time we were up there we had to detour around Rt. 23A. Thanks!
mike

Unread post by mike »

All roads in Greene County are open, with the exception of Rt 17.

Rt 32 bridge is finished
Rt 23a - almost finished - and open
Rt 23 from Windham to Prattsville is open.
Rt 42 through the Deep Notch is also open.

Ulster County is a different matter. They have not started fixing many of the roads. Money issues from what I understand.
kkayaker8

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

"Open" is a lose term for 42. The 3rd bridge in from the Lexington side is still under construction, therefore one still must take Mosquito Point Bridge on Route 23a to Beech Ridge - the furthest one, and then make a left and then turn right to get to Spruceton Valley from 23a....Don't try otherwise, it's just a dead end with no detour signs.